How to identify Dual DVD and ordinary DVD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoegoe

Broken In
Hmm... As the title says.. how to distinguish between a dual layer dvd and ordinary dvd.. Also.. ive got dvds here around 13Rs/piece.. How much would dual layer dvd cost??

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz
i looked for a dual layerd DVD(8.4 GB) in Bangalore but was unable to find one :( . At Rs.13 it must be a single layered DVD (4.7 GB)
Double sided but single layered DVDs are easily availble but are expensive

Last edited:

shovik

Banned
DVD priced at Rs.12/piece or like that is sure to be a single layer 4.7GB variety. Dual-Layer single writable DVDs are available from the brands like Maxell, Sony, MoserBaer, TDK etc. and they cost around Rs.170/piece and Dual-Layer RW is priced at around Rs.350/piece.
The price difference should help to judge about the variety of DVDs available.

Regards,
Shovik.

nil_3

In the zone
Can anybody explain the reason for this excessive price difference. Is it that the dual layer technology is yet to trickle down from large to small manufactures?

go4saket

Dual Layered DVD's are not new and apart from this, I guess this rate difference is because of the gap in demand and supply. If the DVD9 actually costed so high, how could you get a Video DVD9 for just Rs.100 in the market. Moreover, Digit gave a DVD9 to all its suscribers this time... I am sure they didnt pay sucha huge amount from their pockets. They would have easily gone for two DVD5 rather than 1 DVD9.

So the moral of the story is, demand and supply gap...

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
As more & more people start using DVDs, the prices of DVDs will fall down.
In a dual-layer DVD you can have two DVD movies in a single DVD!! That apart
you can store more than 8 GB of data. Good for backup of harddisk data.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ok a stupid question where do u write the title of the disk if both sides have been burned with data

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
he he.
there are two layers on the same side. what happens is that the lazer frequency is changed slightely to read the deeper layer. difference if freq gives laser different penitration and reflection power. so at two diff freq the two layers act as two different disks.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
go4saket said:
Dual Layered DVD's are not new and apart from this, I guess this rate difference is because of the gap in demand and supply. If the DVD9 actually costed so high, how could you get a Video DVD9 for just Rs.100 in the market. Moreover, Digit gave a DVD9 to all its suscribers this time... I am sure they didnt pay sucha huge amount from their pockets. They would have easily gone for two DVD5 rather than 1 DVD9.

So the moral of the story is, demand and supply gap...
What Digit gives isn't a dual layer disc written by a DVD writer. It's a pressed disc which costs next to nothing.

OP
shoegoe

shoegoe

Broken In
drvarunmehta said:
What Digit gives isn't a dual layer disc written by a DVD writer. It's a pressed disc which costs next to nothing.

Pressed?... Can u give me some info..i cant get u..

And is there anyway to identify them VISUALLY

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Basically it is a DVD-ROM just like original movie or game DVD's. It's totally different from the writable discs. It needs a special machine that "presses" data on it really fast unlike conventional DVD writers that take several minutes for burning each disc.

nil_3

In the zone
go4saket said:
Digit gave a DVD9 to all its suscribers this time... I am sure they didnt pay such a huge amount from their pockets.

The DVDs supplied by Digit is not a "written" DVD but a "pressed" one. In this process, the content is initially written in a master DVD9 disc. It is then scanned and thereafter, the scanned data is pressed(stamped, to be precise) on normal DVD5 discs. The machine(I don't know the name, anybody please tell me) costs 20-25lakhs(approx). DVD9 movie discs(both production house movies and pirated ones) are also produced in this way.

The factories whereever DVDs are mass produced, employ this method of "pressing", for preparation of DVD5/DVD9 disc. In this process, less time is taken for pressing compared to writing a DVD.

Last edited:

nil_3

In the zone
gary4gar said:
how much is the cost of single layer rw. i am planning to get a dvd writer soon

Single layer DVD RW in Kolkata costs Rs. 10-13 for unbranded ones. Branded ones cost 25-32 for a 10's pack.

go4saket

nil_3 said:
The DVDs supplied by Digit is not a "written" DVD but a "pressed" one. In this process, the content is initially written in a master DVD9 disc. It is then scanned and thereafter, the scanned data is pressed(stamped, to be precise) on normal DVD5 discs. The machine(I don't know the name, anybody please tell me) costs 20-25lakhs(approx). DVD9 movie discs(both production house movies and pirated ones) are also produced in this way.

The factories whereever DVDs are mass produced, employ this method of "pressing", for preparation of DVD5/DVD9 disc. In this process, less time is taken for pressing compared to writing a DVD.

Now thats something I never heard about... Can you please give more information about it or some links to the same please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom