How to host a forum in my site

Status
Not open for further replies.

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
Hi frenz...

I would like to install a forum in my site.. Is forum code available freely on NET? If s, Please provide me some links. Searched google.. but couldnot get proper results. :(

Thanks in advance..

Last edited:
OP
sridatta

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
ye.. this site is gud.. there are lot of styles provided too..

are there any differences between phpBB and vbulletin? i observed one diff.. reputation feature is absent in phpBB.. i could not get why is vbulletin forum so expensive??

ahref

In the zone
Ya, vbulletin is better than phpbb. Initally you use phpbb, when user grows shift to vbulletin.

JhonCena

Journeyman
I 'll recomend you phpBB. coz it is da best.
You can download it from here

Installation Tutorial in detail

I am also using it and it is awesome:cool: . you can also install hundreds of themes from here

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
phpbb rox only downfall to phpbb 2 is tht ugot to manually mod it how ever phpbb 3 rox full on its very good .... vb and ipb are expensive coz they come fully modded and honestly iv tried ipb it sux and im also using phpbb 2 very convinient and user friendly if u know a little bit of html ucan mod it very easily

OP
sridatta

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
Thanks frenz.. you have provided me quite a lot info... so big that i just fell in a dilemma of which bb to install. can i go for phpBB 3.0 beta version ???

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
Well u can install them very easily using fantanstico(if provided in ur Cpanel)...most of the hosting comes with this.Installtion is very easy..it will take only 2-3 minute.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
phpbb3 does not come in fanatstico as it is beta stages however u can install it manually as it very easy as compared to phpbb2

and yes phpbb3 beta can b used as it is now no problem but use at own risk

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
u dont need to manually install every mod. there is one software called EasyMOD. it is still in development but installs some of the basic mods such as CashMods, RSS support and others.

Reputation system can be installed in phpBB using the Reputation system MOD. it resembles the one of vBulletin.

i like phpBB coz it's free, open source and modable. it rox.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
easy mod my advice doing it manually is better ..... coz when u hv themes other than subsilver it doesnt find certain codes and also doesnt giv the desired result at times

JhonCena

Journeyman
mrinalbenjwal said:
free website, free domain, free Resource, free web tools
visit www.iconsystem.info/google.html

Dunno I am not able to view that site and its home page also:mad:

*www.iconsystem.info/google.html

I googled for it and I found *iconsystem.net/ Is this is da right one:mrgreen:

bharathbala2003

why need title?
for a free forum version id suggest SMF i have used it and il tell u it has the best search features.. search for a word and ul get it right unlike phpbb or other paid boards where u get other links too..

i use a Invision board its a bit costly but the support and mods are really good.. and dont use phpbb 3 as its still in testing..

OP
sridatta

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
Again.. thanx guys..

Please suggest some nice featured mods so that i can make my forum look like a paid one ;)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
heres a list of mods on my phpbb2:

cash
online offline
sub-forums
attachment
forum icons

hell i dont even remember the others there are a hell lot of mods u can install on phpbb go thru their mod forum on phpbb.com

as far as phpbb3 is no official mods available and phpbb3 is very good without any mods

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
i have :-

cash
reputation systems
disabling post count
sub forums
RSS Feeds
Birthday mod

these are really useful.

@mav3
EasyMOD is under development and in beta stages. it's still a gud mod for newbies who dont want to mess around with php code. installation otherwise takes around an hour or so depending on how compex the code is. i prefer easymod for mods that are easy mod compatible such as CashMods. otherwise, manual is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom