How to hide folder in windows XP without using folder guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
frenz...

I want to hide my personal folder from being visible to others even if they enable the option "view hidden folders" under folder options..

please suggest doing that directly without any software because i m vexed using those trial versions..

Thanx

OP
sridatta

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
oops... the files that are encrypted with this software can be easily deleted permanently..
Actually my aim is to protect the folder from being visible to my friends.. and more over, they should not know that i m hiding something.. plzz suggest more tweaks

n.regmi

Broken In
create a new account in windows xp

or

keep ur folder here (C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache), i think ur friends will not search here lol. also try changing extension of ur file so they cant find it.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
What I did in my computer:

1.) Hide the file/folder, which u want to protect from others.
2.) Disable "Folder Options" from Tools menu using either registry or gpedit.msc, so that no one can enable "Show Hidden file/folders" option.
3.) Also disable regedit.exe from gpedit.msc, so that a smart user can't enable "show hidden files/folders" from registry ;)
4.) And at last rename "gpedit.msc" to something else, like "regedit.msc" so that no one can enable again regedit.exe using gpedit.msc :D

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@Vishal Gupta
here is a simple fact.
even if u have hidden those files in windows just open nero nd click add button nd in the brouse window u can see all those hidden files. Just burn an image in HDD itself nd u get access to those files. Or just burn the entire folder to a DVD nd put it on another PC nd eneble show hidden files nd u can see.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
There is also a solution for it, which I use: :D

Open regedit and goto:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\Browser

And in right-side pane, create new DWORD value ShowHiddenAndSystemFiles and set its value to 0 :)

OP
sridatta

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
Thats pretty cooooool... vishal

But, i use that folder too often.. its all tedious to me to do so many things to hide.. :(

I m sure u 'll find an easier solution soon :)

Is there any registry key to add so that the hidden folders are not visible in windows xp?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
arey!

After doing all these stuffs, u can access the file/folder by just typing its name in the address bar :)

Like u hv hidden a folder named setup in D:\ drive, then to access the folder, simply open My computer and then open D: drive and type Setup in the address bar. Now u can do what u want in the folder. :D

PS: The registry key which set the option, whether the HIDDEN files/folders should be displayed or not is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

In right-side pane, the DWORD value Hidden. If its value is 2, then Hidden files/folders will not be shown and if its value is 1, then they will be shown. :)

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
u can also try fake folder.Simple to use nd probably no easy way to bypass it.But a simple reinstall of the app would reset the pass.

OP
sridatta

sridatta

An Esoteric Geek
gaurav_indian said:
Thats the reason his tutorial appeared in this months Digit. :D

Is it ??

Vishal.. Congrats..!!

I m sorry.. My college library do not subscribe digit.. so couldnot see.. i hope i get it somehow....

by the way.. which tutorial..? plz paste the link of that thread..

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
@vishal
very nice info there mate
why dont u compile a e-book on registry hacks and tweaks and release it under GPL?

debiprasad_sahoo

Web Junky 2.0
Zip your folders using Win Rar and edit the file name. Remove the .rar ext. and add some thing other which can do a different thing such as .dat or .mov, or any other un-familier ext.

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
yes I tried all your suggestions but my brother is smart he opens the file b'cause he also reads digit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom