how to get more of my floppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitu_mania

Photoshopgyan.co.cc
Hi friends!
someone tells me that we can get more space on floppy by formatting it by a software. but i don't know that software. if u know that pls tell me.......
jitu_mania
[/b]

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Sourabh said:
drgrudge said:
Haha, who told you so? U get a CD or a DVD man!

well its true tht one can increase the capacity of the fdd

google for more info
Hmm, i dint know abt that! Sorry guys! Well, in any case i wont be interested for a floopy disk thing!

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
True, such software exist, but all they do is throw in a fre more kilobytes, and you also need the same software at the other place where you're taking the disk to, or else you run the risk of a not being to read it. The last I checked, all these softwares were non-standard. Technically, you can even use a Track 0 bad floppy too, if both source and destination use the same software.

swatkat

Technomancer
Windows has it's own Disk Compression tool called DriveSpace, u can use it...
but disk compression is not recommended...

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Drive Space 3 extends the Floppy Size to 2.56 MB or sometin like that.....Its dam simple Just Got Start-Programs-Accessories-System tools-Drive Space and Select ur Formated floppy drive and In the Drive menu select Compress...and Voilla ur done 8)

Sourabh

Laptoping
lolzz

i thot of doing it again after first trying it a couple of time 2-3 yrs ago

went to System Tools> Drive space and heck then relaized i dun have a floppy disk drive 8)

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
But technically, DriveSpace3 doesn't really "extend" the capacity of your floppy disc. It just compresses the data into a CVF and then migrates it to the host drive, and I thought it wasn't really recommended to use it. The best thing to do is to zip/rar/cab any file you want and then copy to the disk. At least with zip/rar, if the file does conk up, it can at least be fixed.

NikhilVerma

Padawan
Don't you guys know about Alkonost MaxFormat !!!

It increases the size of a FDD to 1.72 MB without compression just by changing the file system...

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
kurious : like someone said , why use floppies anyway ??? they dont last that long at all . really irritating when u carry data a long way , just to get disk read error . if ur using floppies for boot disks or disk managers , just make a bootable image outta the floppy and make a bootable cd outta it . works gr8

kl_ravi

Journeyman
HD Copy 2.0a does a good job :D

==================
HD-COPY - Fast diskette copier and high capacity formatter.

[updated 2004-08-07]

From the docs...

HD-COPY is the fastest copy-program I know (and I know many) --- there's definitely no faster one. You can also use it to format disks at various formats (from 720 Kb to 1.764 Mb in this version of HD-COPY), which is faster than DOS' FORMAT and produce s less errors.
The following DD formats are supported:
* 320 Kb, 360 Kb, 720 Kb; "special" DD formats: 400 Kb, 800 Kb, 820 Kb and similar
The following HD formats are supported:
* 5 1/4 inch drives: 1.2 Mb, 1.44 Mb, 1.48 Mb and similar
* 3 1/2 inch drives: 1.2 Mb, 1.44 Mb, 1.48 Mb, 1.72 Mb and similar
Note: To use non-standard disks (i.e. 5 1/4 disks with more than 1.2 Mb or 3 1/2 disks with more than 1.44 Mb) outside HD-COPY, you have to install a TSR program like FDREAD (included), because the DOS/BIOS doesn't like disks with an unusual number of s ectors. HD-COPY itself doesn't need FDREAD, since it has its own routines to handle special formats.

Author: Oliver Fromme (1995) Germany. Cardware.

=========================

pranav_cool

Right off the assembly line
:lol: SmartFormat 2.1 :lol:

this is one of the program u wanna go for.
& it is of only 22kb

U can find it here :

:arrow:
*members.tripod.com/ieeecrce/innovations99/tformat/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom