How to free up some space in C drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamilvendan

Broken In
Dear friends!

My C drive has 3.89 GB capacity in which i have installed Win xp with SP2. I have not stored anyother files in c drive. Still I get only 512 MB as free space. So i checked the size of the individual folders.

Documents and settings - 213 MB

Program files - 680 MB

Windows - 1.96 GB

I cannot understand how windows folder occupies such a huge space. Can any unnecessary file be deleted to free up some space?

Help please!

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
U can delete many Temporary files to free up space!

Goto Start -> Search -> For File or Folders

And type:

mscreate.dir;*.tmp;*.log;*log.txt;file_id.diz;*.bak;*.old;*.~mp

in text box and then start search.

U'll find many files and delete them.

U can also delete all files from C:\WINDOWS\Temp folder.

And at last u can use Tuneup Utilities 2006 to free up disk space :D

janitha

Wise Old Owl
goobimama said:
see the temp folder, that uses up some space. Also, the Swap file is also on the C: drive by default.

Is it possible to shift the swap file to D drive in the case of Win XP. I used to do it with win 98. With XP I am not able to do it. Please tell how to!

Netjunkie

In the zone
It could be the "System Volume Information" occupying a lot of space on your drive.
Reduce the disk usage space allotted to System Restore.
To do this Right click "My Computer" >>click Properties, then onto the System Restore tab, select your drive, click settings & adjust accordingly.

sakumar79

Technomancer
To set the swap file, go to System properties (Ctrl+Alt+Prt Scr). Advanced Tab->Settings button of Performance. Advanced Tab-> Change button in Virtual Memory...

It is a good idea to set the page file to a set size and usually, twice the amount of RAM on your system is a good value to allocate. Set "No Paging File" for C and for D, set "Custom Size" with same value for initial and maximum sizes...

Arun

G

gxsaurav

i wrote a guide previously in this forum for slimming the XP Drive, it can't be found anywhere, so i m posting it back here

1) Remove Windows Cursors from Add remove system components

2) c:\windows\help\

DON’T DELETE THIS FOLDER, JUST ALL THE FILES IN SIDE!

3) c:\windows\inf\

NOTE: DON’T DELETE THIS FOLDER, JUST ALL THE FILES INSIDE! This folder contains a lot of windows drivers, if you ever add new hardware, windows looks in this folder, then on your CD drive for the latest drivers. Any hardware you might get will probably come with the drivers on a disk, so this folder is just a wasting space on your hard drive with outdated drivers. If all of your hardware is working fine, and you don’t plan on adding any new hardware for a while, deleting this won’t affect your system at all. If you don’t want to delete everything in it, U can search for mdm*.* and delete everything that comes up. These are all modem drivers, and it is very unlikely you will ever need them because you either have a modem installed already, also remove driver with name sis, via on it

Kniwor

Learner
the first thing i do is to relocate the temporary variable out of C:\ drive... that solves a hell lot of problems....

right click my computer->properties->advanced->environment variables-> and relocate the user and system variables permanently...

so if ur installing a game u will not have low disk error space... or while downloading a big file using IDM or DAP etc.....

OP
T

tamilvendan

Broken In
Hello Vishal gupta!

i did as u suggested and now i am having trouble opening a word document. As you have told i searched for the files with those extensions and deleted them ( I did not delete them exactly. I only removed the files to the recycle bin and from the recycle bin i copied them to a different drive( just in case i need them).

But from then on whenever i open the a word file , immediately after opening the file i window comes saying "preparing to install" and after sometime another window comes saying

" office XP setup

Error 1706. Setup cannot find the required files. Check your connection to the network or Cd rom drive. For other potential solutions to this problem see C:\programfiles\microsoft office\office10\1033\SETUP.HLP"

I thought of replacing the files but i dont know the original path of the files. I just tried moving all the files to the microsoft office folder and this also did not work.

Help please.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Do a repair install for your Office. Go to Control Panel->Add/Remove Program, select Office. You should be able to modify or repair your setup here. Once you repair it, things should be fine.

Arun

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Its bcoz of some temp file deletion.

Do what sakumar79 suggested!

If it doesnt work, then u can reinstall the office by the setup...

OP
T

tamilvendan

Broken In
Thanks for your suggestions!

I tried to repair it. But it needs the office xp installation cd. Right now i dont have it. I will do it later on.

One thing I have learned from this. All those temp. files may not be useless files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom