how to format "c" drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

n3o.kool

Right off the assembly line
hey ne one can tell me how can i format my c drive i tried the same by right clivkin on c drive icon and then format but it isnt working.I have my one XP installed in c drive and one I have installed in my D drive.I dont need the XP on c drive and it contains many bugs nd viruses plzz help

kapsicum

spice it up
u need to reboot and in Startup menu u need to select command prompt & format the required partition

magneticme200

In the zone
hey ne one can tell me how can i format my c drive i tried the same by right clivkin on c drive icon and then format but it isnt working.I have my one XP installed in c drive and one I have installed in my D drive.I dont need the XP on c drive and it contains many bugs nd viruses plzz help

u cnt do it tht easily buddy...because wen u try to format it by right clicking, u r doing that in the windows interface which is installed in the same drive...tht is the reason y your command doesnt execute.
i would suggest stick with winxp only...it is wonderful/.

the simple way out is
1.insert a bootable win xp cd..
2.restart your computer.
3.you will see a dos based winxp setup.
4. it will ask you the drive in which u want to install fresh windows xp.
5.choose the drive, it will then ask you tht in which format u want to format your that particular drive(fat32 or ntfs), i would suggest choose ntfs.
6.thn it will format your drive and install a fresh winxp. which will be trouble free. and for ensuring tht install a good anti virus, or rather more than that for keeping your pc safe just be a little careful while choosing the kind of websites that you visit, or the kind of media that you use..(usb and all.)

happy pcing.

regards

manan

OP
N

n3o.kool

Right off the assembly line
hey thnx for ur reply that i also tried the same thing but when i was installing my new xp 64bit i installed it in D drive.the xp in c drive the 32 bit one is curropted nd wid virus nd bugs.If i reinstall the xp in c drive it will format the drive but there will be two xp of the same kind nd i dont need that.i want to format the c drive wid 32 bit xp plzzz

nmenon

Broken In
If you don't mind using the win XP on your drive D: you can try booting into it and formatting C:. Else get a bootable win XP cd and when setup asks about the partition for installation select C: and format it.

hansraj

In the zone
hey thnx for ur reply that i also tried the same thing but when i was installing my new xp 64bit i installed it in D drive.the xp in c drive the 32 bit one is curropted nd wid virus nd bugs.If i reinstall the xp in c drive it will format the drive but there will be two xp of the same kind nd i dont need that.i want to format the c drive wid 32 bit xp plzzz

Dont worry about getting the 64 bit in c and d as well. once u have installed 64 bit in c u can always change the os entries in the boot.ini. Go ahead and Install the 64 bit in C drive also and start xp.
Now u will have to edit the boot.ini

RT click "MY Computer"> Properties>Advanced> Settings(startup and recovery)>edit and u will come across the text somewhat like

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"
/noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Just delete the second line of "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

Restart and now u will be in windows of u r c:/>.Now u can give a command to format d. It will surely format d.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom