How to find if RAM is defected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midhunmon

Broken In
Can any one tell how to check if the RAM is defected. Mine is working well and it shows all 512MB in any softwares which shows the RAM amount. But I sometimes (not so often) have no video when the pc starts off.My PSUs 3.3V is now giving only 2.9V.Is that causing the AGP not to work?All other vges are perfect.No problem with the monitor or monitor cable.please Help.

thecyclone2k

In the zone
In case RAM if corrupt or defected your PC won't start at all or if, starts it will hang while working or the computer will auto shut down with cabinet LEDs still on (the system would be running) and monitor getting on stand by with beep sound (from cabinet, if you have that small speaker inside).

When it fails to start it will provide same symptom, i.e. cabinet LEDs would be on (the system would be running) and monitor would be on stand by with beep sound (from cabinet, if you have that small speaker inside).

If the system hangs, RAM maybe or may not be a problem but, if you get above sign then your RAM needs replacement.

You're saying that without any video the PC starts off. It seems to me that RAM is nearing to it's end. You might get it scrutinised from your hardware guy.

Also, your RAM slot and RAM card may need a bit cleaning as dust also creates such symptoms.

Last edited:

aqeel_phool

Right off the assembly line
No in some cases i think ram can produce varios problem when infected and can repair with some tools use google or yahoo search to find such programs

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
To check your ram for errors, download and use memtest86. Follow the instruction for usage.
You problem could be your psu. How did you check the psu voltages? S/w aren't accurate. Different s/w report different volts. Only a dmm can tell you the correct value. Instead, use a psu calc to get an estimate of the power required to the power ur psu supplies.

OP
midhunmon

midhunmon

Broken In
Thanks guys.I monitored the PSU vges from the intel's built in vge monitor on my MB.Also my system starts by glowing both the HDD LED and the power LED.i am not sure the OS is loading. This is not a day by day problem.If there is a RAM problem it might be frequent.If a part of RAM is defected i think it will show less in the system info.Also my RAM is just 8 months old. these problems started one month after i installed my AGP card.AGP slot and RAM slot both are fine and working.I suspect my PSU which still give less than 3V on 3.3V rail.There is no beep sound which is heared when the battery is weak. The thing i want to know is if the PSU fail to supply this 3.3V correctly, will the AGP fail to supply the images?

Last edited:

thecyclone2k

In the zone
I too had the HDD and power LED glow situation, and it was issue with RAM. As, you say your system still works, your RAM is not over yet.

I too had this problem initially once in a week or so but, finally when the RAM was over the system said beep (no) when trying to start.

Maybe you got more than one cards and one of the cards is having problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom