How to filter out spam

Discussion in 'QnA (read only)' started by tuxfan, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuxfan

tuxfan New Member

Here's how to use Ximian Evolution under GNU/Linux in tandum with SpamAssassin to filter spam. The steps may look somewhat complicated, but is actually very simple. Give it a try. :)

1. Open Ximian Evolution and create a new local folder. I created a folder called "Spam".
    2. Go to Tools > Filters. A new window will open up.
    3. Select Incoming because we want to create a filter for incoming messages (other option is Outgoing).
    4. Click on Add.
    5. Give a rule name (I called it "DownWithSpam" ;)).
    6. In the frame called If perform the following steps:
      • From the drop down list select Pipe Message to Shell Command.
      • In the text box on its right type spamassassin -e > /dev/null.
        The option -e stands for Exit with a non-zero exit code if the tested message was spam.
      • In the drop down menu on its right select Returns Greater Than.
      • In the next box enter 0 (zero, not O).
    7. In the frame called Then perform the following steps:
      • From the drop down list select Move to Folder.
      • Select the Spam folder that was created some time back.
      • Click on the Add button.
      • Select Stop Processing.
    8. Click on OK.
    9. Select the newly created rule and move it to the top most position in the list of rules.
      [/list:eek::24b5cd7925]
      This will filter out spam from all POP3 accounts. Since this filter is at the top of the filter list, mails will be checked for spam before any other filter is applied. I have tried this and it works quite well in filtering out spams. Instead of moving it into a folder as in step 7(a), you can even directly delete it. But it is advisable to have a look at the mails before deleting them permanently.

You can download SpamAssassin from http://www.spamassassin.org if it is already not installed or install it from the GNU/Linux installation CDs. This is how you can check whether it is installed or install it if its not there. The steps could work in KDE in Fedora Core 1 or 2 or PCQ Linux 2004. I don't know about the steps involved in other distros.
      1. Click on K (in KDE) to open up the menu.
      2. Go to Lost & Found.
      3. Click on Add/Remove Applications.
      4. In the list, go to Mail Server and click on Details.
      5. If you see spamassassin ticked, it is installed otherwise it is not installed.
      6. If it is not installed, put a tick mark next to it and click on Close and then on Update.
      7. Insert the Linux installation CD that it requires.

2. it_waaznt_me

it_waaznt_me Coming back to life ..

I was elated when I got the Novell's Linux techincal resource dvds to test Ximian desktop ..but was very disappointed to see that the XMD 2 supplied in it was meant for Suse 8.2 .. :( ...

Btw.. Evolution is supplied with FC2 na ..? I will soon install it .. It looks just like Outlook 2003 ...

3. Deep

Deep Version 2.0

I am pretty comfortable with Byesian filter on our office mail server (Mdaemon)

and it also works on the same logic...it also using spamaasian..
    and learns the things itself after certain time..

i have managed to stop 95% of the spam on our system...

Deep

4. OP
    OP
    tuxfan

tuxfan New Member

Evolution has been there since Red Hat 9 days. It may have been there since longer, but I have not seen any earlier distros :) And yes it looks very much like Outlook and also behaves like it. That is why I chose it over Thunderbird, KMail and Mozilla Mail. I use multiple POP3 accounts and don't like the idea of having separate set of folders for each account.

5. GNUrag

GNUrag FooBar Guy

Spam should ideally be controlled on the mail exchange server itself, since there's no point in first downloading all spam mails on the desktop and then applying a filter rule... You have already wasted your bandwidth :-( :-(

Evloution was there in RedHat from 8.0... though it was still very young then... I somehow like the whole Mozilla suite as a single piece... no specific reason though.... just that i'm used to mozilla's user interface...

ps: Nice tutorial tuxfan :)

6. OP
    OP
    tuxfan

tuxfan New Member

Very true. But since it is not done by the biggest Indian ISP, I get maximum spam on my VSNL account :( :evil:

Secondly, I think mails filtered out thry these automatic filters needs to be reviewed - at least the header. Otherwise some useful mails may go away as spam.

Thank you :) I always feel the urge to know more and more about what I start using ;)

7. xenkatesh

xenkatesh Bewitched!

GNUrag wrote:
    Nice tutorial tuxfan

Nice tutorial Dude! Gr8

8. OP
    OP
    tuxfan

tuxfan New Member

Thank you, xenkatesh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.