how to enter safe mode in Win XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
I dont understand by:"I am not able to, by pressing F8 during booting. ". DO u get any error message or something?

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Open "C:\BOOT.INI" file in notepad, it should be similar like following:

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT
Copy the last line saying "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" and paste it at last of file (i.e., make a copy of last line):

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT 
Now add:

Code:
/SAFEBOOT:MINIMAL /BOOTLOG /SOS
at last of the last line in following manner:

Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Safe Mode" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /SAFEBOOT:MINIMAL /BOOTLOG /SOS

Now when u'll reboot, u'll get an extra option for Safe mode also :D

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
aravind_n20 said:
I dont understand by:"I am not able to, by pressing F8 during booting. ". DO u get any error message or something?

I meant that by pressing F8, I get only two options ie., to boot from HDD and from Optcal Drive and not for Safe Mode. No error message.

And Vishal Gupta, is there any easier option? And I am using XP Home
SP II with all updates.

V.Prem Kumar.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Start -> Run, type msconfig

Goto BOOT.INI tab and select the line, saying:

Code:
or something like that and enable:

Code:
/SAFEBOOT
/BOOTLOG
/SOS
options! :wink:

PS: As I said earlier, now when u'll select windows XP in the boot loader it'll boot into Safe mode. So its better that before applying above procedure, u also copy the line saying "windows xp professional....." in BOOT.INI file and make changes on that line so u'll be able to boot in both normal as well as safe mode

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
janitha said:
aravind_n20 said:

I meant that by pressing F8, I get only two options ie., to boot from HDD and from Optcal Drive and not for Safe Mode. No error message.

And Vishal Gupta, is there any easier option? And I am using XP Home
SP II with all updates.

V.Prem Kumar.

You do not have any problem.
What you are doing wrong is that you are pressing the F8 key too soon.
Most modern motherboards supports pressing F8 for choosing boot device during post.
Press F8 after the post and just at the time windows starts loading to get the windows boot options menu.

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
[/quote]

You do not have any problem.
What you are doing wrong is that you are pressing the F8 key too soon.
Most modern motherboards supports pressing F8 for choosing boot device during post.
Press F8 after the post and just at the time windows starts loading to get the windows boot options menu.[/quote]

I feel what I meant is still not clear. I do get boot options ie. HDD and Optical but no option for Safe Mode.

V.Prem Kumar

sakumar79

Technomancer
^^ After getting the boot option (HDD/Optical), select HDD and press F8 again. You will now get option for Safe mode, etc.

Arun

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
sakumar79 said:
^^ After getting the boot option (HDD/Optical), select HDD and press F8 again. You will now get option for Safe mode, etc.

Arun

Thank you, and it was very easy and the complicated and risky registry editing suggested by Vishal Gupta was not needed.

Actually I wanted toe enter Safe Mode to scan for Spyware etc., as suggested by many in the forum.

V.Prem Kumar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom