How to edit PDF files???

Status
Not open for further replies.

go4saket

Hello friends!

Can you please tell me how can one edit a PDF file? Say for exapmle that I want to highlight some stuff, delete some, add some thing new, add or delete images or even create a PDF from scratch, which is the best software to do this.

Thank you.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

Is there a way to break the password. I hope I am not asking something that against the rules of the forum. Incase yes, please ignore this request.

Moreover, is there a good freeware to edit the PDF's.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Breaking passwords is illegal so I wont touch it...

To edit PDF's you need to get the full version of Acrobat (you probably have Acrobat Reader which is like the Word Viewer software - can see the file but cant edit it). If you dont have it, you can make use of some pdf to word conversion utils that are available, export to word, make corrections/highlights then use word to pdf conversion utilities... All are available on the net and to find freeware stuff, go to www.nonags.com or similar site and search for pdf...

Arun

legolas

Padawan
to my knowledge, no freewares are available for editing pdfs! but as said above u can edit if u hav adobe acrobat professional with u. and reg. passwords, softwares are available for finding passwords, pdf password recovery. i mean it to be used only for recovery purposes and my mentioning of this software has nothing to do with "illegal".... thou it aint a freeware either...

/legolas

OP
go4saket

go4saket

sakumar79 said:
Breaking passwords is illegal so I wont touch it...

To edit PDF's you need to get the full version of Acrobat (you probably have Acrobat Reader which is like the Word Viewer software - can see the file but cant edit it). If you dont have it, you can make use of some pdf to word conversion utils that are available, export to word, make corrections/highlights then use word to pdf conversion utilities... All are available on the net and to find freeware stuff, go to www.nonags.com or similar site and search for pdf...

Arun

As these days there are hundreds and thousands of companies offering a PDF to Word converting software, can you recommend me some really good one.

sakumar79

Technomancer
What do you know, there doesnt appear to be any free decent pdf to word converter... There is a software to convert pdf into text file, but images, formatting, etc. will be lost...

BTW, to convert word to pdf, try OpenOffice.org as it has a export to PDF feature... With it, you can create documents and save them as pdf files...

Arun

Ravi+ish

Journeyman
Yeah, the there are no cool stuffs for text to pdf conversions! Though, openoffice is good! Try that and i would like to suggest Photoshop... you can write text in PS and then just export it to PDF format!!!! However, for editing your own copy of PS you have to keep a verson of PSD file with urself!!

ujjwal

Padawan
You could convert the PDF file to HTML and edit it manually or using the sea of HTML editors that exist. The only way I know of converting pdf to html is by first converting it to postscript (pdf2ps) and then to html (ps2html). Also check the results of this search -

*www.google.co.in/search?q=pdf2html

legolas

Padawan
Ravi+ish said:
Yeah, the there are no cool stuffs for text to pdf conversions!
u meant the other way around right? for a text to pdf conversion, incase its urs... then i prefer using "Latex"! too good...

/legolas

OP
go4saket

go4saket

I tried a few softwares mentioned in this forum but am not very satisfied as the look and the feel of the file changes. My basic aim is to highlight and bookmark important lines in the file so that I can refer them in future. If adding some notes or comment can be possible, it would be like icing on the cake. Now guys, can you recommend me some software with which I can achieve this kepping the format of the file intact.

ujjwal

Padawan
One application I know is Scribus - *www.scribus.org.uk/

But if you are using windows, it may be a bit tricky to install, check this guide.

knight17

In the zone
If you want to canvert text or webpages to pdf use open office writer,
it is free and do the job eith simple click

OP
go4saket

go4saket

I did use Slidworks PDF converter, but the problem is that the resulting file size, i.e. the DOC file size becomes so big that it takes a huge time to open the file as well as working in the file becomes kind of impossible.

I converted a PDF version of Digit which was originally 6 MB which turned out to be 65 MB in DOC format.

OP
go4saket

go4saket

I tried Solid Convertor PDF 3 and it did a really good job. It had options for converting for both PDF to DOC and DOC to PDF, but there was one problem. When I converted from PDF to DOC, the file size increased by many folds, there by making it very difficult to work on the file in DOC format. Say a 10 MB PDF turned out to be about 100 MB DOC.

Now, what can be done in this so as to keep the file size of about the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom