how to disable windows swap file

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
I have got 640 MB of SD RAM of which about 250 MB is always free. Now there is use of swap file instead of my free RAM How do I make windows use the RAM first and then the swap file? I tried reducing the windows swap file but the Page File Usafe in the windows task manager still says about 300 MB used.

Milind

--------------
*www.rollaword.com/firefoxsig.jpg

Tech&ME

Banned
Partically u cannot do this, windows requires the page file, which means during the windows XP bootup the system files are not stored on the RAM directly but they are paged first, evenif you have a large about of RAM, this is a non issue however u can disable the SWAP completely. (But not recommended). To do this follow the following steps.

Right click on the My Computer Icon on your desktop and select Properties, next select Advanced and the click settings on the "Performace" section. Next go to the Advance tab here and then click on the Change button here , Select the "No Page File" radio button and then click on the SET button, u are done. Close all the dialog boxes.

Scorpion

Journeyman
If you are sure of such large RAM, you may force system by turning of swap volumes. This may slow your system if you are using heavier programs.
Two ways--
Safest way is to use Tweak Xp Pro, download the demo version and change the settings. You may have to restart.
Other way is to , go to control Panel>system>advanced>performance settings/options> Advanced>Virtual Memory> turn off for individual drives.
Restart!!
Make sure your RAM is large and visual settings are for best performance when you do this first time.

ujjwal

Padawan
@Raven ... it would rather depend on the OS he is using. For windows 98, it is more than enough. Not sure about NT/2000 ... and for windows XP it is a little less I guess.

On windows 98 here ... my swap file with 128MB RAM rarely starts filling in! It is mostly under 10 MB utilisation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom