how to detect drives, like c: , d: etc in Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaushal Hiwarkar

Be Healthy, Keep Smiling
Plz help I have installed Ubuntu Linux. Plz tell how to detect drives, like c: , d: etc.
Also Playing Mp3 and video files

Pathik

Google Bot
You ll need to mount your drives in linux..
Check out the open source section for more Info..
btw this thread shd hav been in the open source section..
reporting

OP
Kaushal Hiwarkar

Kaushal Hiwarkar

Be Healthy, Keep Smiling
Hello Pathiks , Don't be very Smart. I also know that I have to mount then why don't u tell me how to do that instead of saying

"Check out the open source section for more Info..
reporting"

I am in this section only. Ok If u don't now then shut ur mouth.
Nobody is expert in Linux . I suggest close this section. There is no VISHAL in this Section.
VISHAL u r Genius in Windows I will be using Windows only

Nobody wants to help. I am new Linux user. Installed Fedora Linux. Plz help me from zero.How to listen music. how to install new s/w. How to connect to net. How to mount partition etc OK

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
I think this thread will help you
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42049

Read the guide for ubunto carefully..
You said you are new to linux... So I suggest reading these guides and learn on your own. Self learning is always good.

@pathiks : boy... 70% of your posts are like these useless sugestions...I dont mind though... (But that says how you have that high post count.. )

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
You can always PM someone if you want selective persons to answer. Don't have to ask it out aloud. :)

Anyway, here's the method for Fedora (From FedoraFAQ)

1. Open a Terminal.
2. Become root:
Code:
su -
3. Type:
Code:
yum install ntfs-3g
After it finishes:

1. Create a place to mount the NTFS Volume.
Code:
mkdir /mnt/C
mkdir /mnt/D
mkdir /mnt/E

And so on ...
2. Mount the partitions.
Code:
mount /dev/sd<num> /mnt/<name> -t ntfs-3g -r -o umask=0777

Note: <num> might be 1 for C:, 5,6,7... for D:, E:, F: and so on and,
<name> is the folder name you created in the last step, like C, D, E and so on as in the example.
And as for beginning, you chose a wrong distribution, you'd be far far more comfortable with Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10.

And also, for automatic mounting, read:
In Terminal (Accessories > Terminal or K > System > Konsole) enter: man fstab
Linux provides a hell lot of documentation within itself, for each and every thing almost, unfortunately, no one cares to read them. :|

Also: SEARCH, don't blame us for not answering the same questions every single week to all the users. There's a search bar above, or there's google, if you haven't noticed.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Kaushal Hiwarkar said:
Hello Pathiks , Don't be very Smart. I also know that I have to mount then why don't u tell me how to do that instead of saying
He's trying to help you. If you don't like it don't post anything.

Kaushal Hiwarkar said:
reporting"
I am in this section only.
No, I moved it in this section. All right?
Kaushal Hiwarkar said:
Ok If u don't now then shut ur mouth.
Nobody is expert in Linux . I suggest close this section. There is no VISHAL in this Section.
yeah right. thank you for your mind blowing analysis. please forward your brilliant ideas to the admins.

Kaushal Hiwarkar said:
Nobody wants to help. I am new Linux user. Installed Fedora Linux. Plz help me from zero.How to listen music. how to install new s/w. How to connect to net. How to mount partition etc OK
WIth this kind of attitude you should be lucky any one else even answered.

praka123

left this forum longback
ask VISHAL learn Linux then ;) and u said first ubuntu-then fedora wth?stay with a distro.ubuntu will be easier.BTW

*fedorafaq.org
*ubuntuguide.org
etc.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
@ Mehul... give the guy a little break.... its not that bad....

@ Kaushik, I hope you got your answer. From next time, remember that people here are to help you, AND, it takes time. You cannot learn all at a single go.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Kaushal Hiwarkar said:

reporting"

WTF! Please go back and use windows.. You are not doing anyone a favor by using linux. Unfortunately we dont get commission if we make someone shift to linux. And please, you are NO ONE to decide if this section needs to be closed (this is probably the section with the maximum number of usefull posts, i'd have left thinkdigit a LONG time back, if it wernt for this section).. And yeah, get a life..

@Quiz_Master: I really dont find anything wrong with Pathik's post! So what if he couldnt help Mr Rude, at least he tried to guide him to the right section, where he WOULD get some help (only if he acted more maturely). I for one would NEVER even TRY to help such a dude..

praka123

left this forum longback
Unfortunately we dont get commission if we make someone shift to linux.
^thats the point.this is a community- open source.unlike microsoft who will pay for windows geek. :rolleyes:
this is the problem.core windows users expects customer support as is in the deal with Microsoft windows.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ I think the community support some distros like Ubuntu have, is far superior than the support MS could ever provide!

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
Array kalpik bro.. I know he was being rude... but he is a newbie naa.

And I seriously think those who cant learn basic linux on their own shouldn't use it anyway. My thinking..dont flame me...:D

I mean asking when serious trouble arises is good but asking questions like how to mount drive...:lol: ... again my mentality.... (Sorry if I am sounding rude today... personal problems ./.. sorry)

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@praka123

Really going off topic here...

Unfortunately we dont get commission if we make someone shift to linux.
^thats the point.this is a community- open source.unlike microsoft who will pay for windows geek.
this is the problem.core windows users expects customer support as is in the deal with Microsoft windows.

Do u quite honestly think or feel any one who is rewarded by MS are active here only to obtain the reward ??

when u talk about MS reward I too get in to the picture as in fact i am also one of them who were rewarded !!!! so do u think I am only active in the forum just becasue of that ??

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
Choto bhai you are getting praka wrong here.He is just saying that Windows users get support from Microsoft because they have paid for it.And it is not the case with open source where either you have to search yourself or request help from community....which may not be prompt sometimes.
It was no way realated to MVPs....and I think even MVPs are no way forced to help others it is their own decision.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
Kaushal Hiwarkar said:

reporting"

Mind your language @ first, we r here helping u for free, u hav no rights to say that to anyone here.

there r many "genius"es ppl in this forum, they provide u help even from their busy schedules, so u can do computing easily, all we ask is u to be humble to other members, if u cant do that then "STFU" & move to other forum :cool:

Note: if that is ur attitude... nobodys gonna help u in any forum.

Quiz Master said:
@pathiks : boy... 70% of your posts are like these useless sugestions...I dont mind though... (But that says how you have that high post count.. )

Never expected this comment from u Quiz Master, u got to learn too :cool:

Last edited:
OP
Kaushal Hiwarkar

Kaushal Hiwarkar

Be Healthy, Keep Smiling
Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry
I will not do such silly things friends

vish786

"The Gentleman"
Kaushal Hiwarkar said:
I will not do such silly things friends
... no probs, keep posting [but not like the one u posted earlier] & keep rocking :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom