How to damage a RAM module ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohit

The Hardware Labs
hey guyz , i want to know if there is any possibility that I can damage my RAM modules without inducing physical damage to them and also without damaging any other part of my machine. My dealer has taken me for a ride and has given me some cheap RAM and he will replace it only if there is some problem with it and no physical damage. Need to teach this chap a lesson guyz with your help ofcourse. For my config please see my signature and advise.

sms_solver

In the zone
drop your ram into water for about 1 hour. take it out and the chances are your ram could be damaged. (physical damage) can not be seen.

I have not tried this method. Try at your own risk

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Firstly i would not recommend you going in for this prank, but if you still insist here goes. Dropping RAM in water will not harm it. The best and the cleanest silent killer is STATIC so charge up a plastic device or youself by walking on a carpet whearing slippers / synthetic stuff rubbing etc and touch the gold plated pins of the modules Thats it clean swift and no traces.

chaos

Broken In
pradeep_chauhan said:
Firstly i would not recommend you going in for this prank, but if you still insist here goes. Dropping RAM in water will not harm it. The best and the cleanest silent killer is STATIC so charge up a plastic device or youself by walking on a carpet whearing slippers / synthetic stuff rubbing etc and touch the gold plated pins of the modules Thats it clean swift and no traces.
Just make sure you don't touch any other component. You don't want any fried transistors on your motherboard, do you? Detach the RAM modules and then touch it :wink:

technoteen

Journeyman
ya first remove your ram from your motherboard and take as much away from your comp as you can and not taker a sweater(winter pullover) and rub it over your hair (it induces a great static charge in by body, so much that even touching the complete palm to wall genrates spark in the palm) and now just ouch the golden connectors of the ram. now just amke sure that you dont have static charge on you or on the ram and then reinstall the ram

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
just put the connectors in series circuit with a 12 volt bulb (use AC to DC voltage adaptors as storage battries will blow the chip to bits). i like this topic :D

G

gxsaurav

Take it out of your Cabinet

Take a hammer & Start bam bam bam bam bam bam,

Mission compleated, RAM Distroyed

technoteen

Journeyman
gxsaurav said:
Take it out of your Cabinet

Take a hammer & Start bam bam bam bam bam bam,

Mission compleated, RAM Distroyed

thats the best way :lol: but he clearly mentioned that no physical damge :oops:

OP
mohit

mohit

The Hardware Labs
how can i discharge myself completely from any static charge present on my body ??

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Another good way and one that's preferred is to either get yourself a ESD-safe wrist strap and plug/attach it into a metal (non powder-coated) surface while you are working. You can also keep the case cover on the floor and touch the non powder coated part of the case to ground yourself.

Sankalp

Journeyman
Guys Have u noticed that when u switch on a monitor the screen collects a lot of static electricity

Same is the case with tv.

Well he can use that to damage the ram :wink:

NikhilVerma

Padawan
I have a solution,.....

Take two wires
Connect them to your switch board...
Connect them to your RAM..

It will be fried internally in seconds...

[KIDS : Don't try this at home]

bharathbala2003

why need title?
:lol: u cant take it by ya hand and damage it cos once u hold it with hand the static is passed on to it.. and i suppose u can find out how it got damaged using a ROM READER... i think like ennonmai suggested wear a wrist band and hold it and u can keep it in front of a tv that is jus switched off or a comp monitor.. they will have the static that is enuff to damage it..

OP
mohit

mohit

The Hardware Labs
How can i damage the RAM using the static electricity produced by my monitor/TV as Sankalp said ? Should i just take the RAM and place its gold pins on the TV screen or monitor and then turn it on ? Will that screw it ?

bharathbala2003

why need title?
yes it shld screw it to a certain extent.. but make sure u dont touch the inner part of the ram.. also keep the ram parallel to the monitor or tv... if there is static that is enuff to damage it will get..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom