How to create LAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heartripple

In the zone
I have 1 desktop and a laptop.
I want to create a LAN.
I have installed Windows XP SP 2 and Vista Ultimate SP1 in my desktop and Vista Home Premium SP 1 in my laptop.
I have tow type of LAN cables.

1) Direct
2) Cross

Now tell me next steps.

Thanks in advance.

fabler

Journeyman
Hi..

There are two type of network..

1. Peer to Peer (P2P) where you use cross cable to connect two computers directly.
2. LAN where you use straight cable and connect your computers to a hub/switch/router.

Now. Do following steps (in XP)

Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections.
Right Click on Local Area Network (assuming you're connecting through Local Area Network connection)
Go to properties and select "Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)". Click on "properties" button.

Now under "Use The following IP addresses" enter the following detail.
IP Address : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ( I.E. 192.168.1.2 . Here two computers doesn't have same IP address)
Subnet Mask : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (I.E. 255.255.255.0)
Default Gateway : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (I.E. 192.168.1.1 if any or leave it blank for local communication gateway is not required)

If you have DNS then specify DNS also otherwise leave it blank.

Now if you have hub/switch/router then use straight cable to connect your computers otherwise connect two computers directly via cross cable..

Hope this will help you..

OP
heartripple

heartripple

In the zone
Hi..

There are two type of network..

1. Peer to Peer (P2P) where you use cross cable to connect two computers directly.
2. LAN where you use straight cable and connect your computers to a hub/switch/router.

Now. Do following steps (in XP)

Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections.
Right Click on Local Area Network (assuming you're connecting through Local Area Network connection)
Go to properties and select "Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)". Click on "properties" button.

Now under "Use The following IP addresses" enter the following detail.
IP Address : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ( I.E. 192.168.1.2 . Here two computers doesn't have same IP address)
Subnet Mask : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (I.E. 255.255.255.0)
Default Gateway : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (I.E. 192.168.1.1 if any or leave it blank for local communication gateway is not required)

If you have DNS then specify DNS also otherwise leave it blank.

Now if you have hub/switch/router then use straight cable to connect your computers otherwise connect two computers directly via cross cable..

Hope this will help you..

will diffrent operating system create any problem?

fabler

Journeyman
different operating system won't create any problem. Just steps to get Local Area Connection properties may change..

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
there is an easier way if you only want to transfer files, this method doesn't work for any other purpose.
under XP: Right click on my computer, click on properties, in the first tab, give any name for workgroup.
under Vista: Right click on my computer, click on properties, on the left pane click advanced system settings. in the first tab give the same name for the workgroup as you gave previously. do this on both the computers.
Now connect the computers through cross cable
open my network places (XP) or Network (Vista) and click on show workgroup computers. your other computer wil be visible. When you open it, all the shared folders will be accessible.

OP
heartripple

heartripple

In the zone
The LAN was created successfully just for 1 time.But there was a problem I can access a partition of my desktop in my laptop but I cant able to access a partition of my laptop from my desktop.

After rebooting I am not able to connect it.:|:idea:

fabler

Journeyman
The LAN was created successfully just for 1 time.But there was a problem I can access a partition of my desktop in my laptop but I cant able to access a partition of my laptop from my desktop.

After rebooting I am not able to connect it.:|:idea:

Turn off password protected sharing in vista..

for how to on/of password protected sharing see here *www.vistax64.com/tutorials/125876-password-protected-sharing-turn-off.html

Scroll Down to bottom in this page..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom