How to Copy in windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

naikosen

Broken In
I use WindowsXP regularly where the following in a batch file works good:
copy nice.bmp"%systemroot%\system32"
It copies files to windows\system32

But when I use the same command in Windows98, it does not work. If this is not for Windows98, what command should be?

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Simply use copy nice.bmp c:\windows\system32

QwertyManiac - dont post if you dont know the answer. Post reported to mOds. You just post to increase your post count. he did not ask to give syntax of copy command in dos. Don't copy n paste blankly.

Sourabh

Laptoping
@QWERTYManiac:

Stick to the point and give solutions to problems in QnA strictly pertaining to the point. Generally those who ask queries in here arent much aware about things pertaining to their problem and thats the reason why they post their queries in the first place. Dont repeat this again.

OP
N

naikosen

Broken In
navjotjsingh said:

Thank you very much.

The syntax you mentioned is for the simle usage of 'Copy' command which is known even to computer novice.

In WindowsXP, the syntax I mentioned searches the 'windows\system32' folder itself ( no matter if it is in C: or in D: ) and copies the stuff in it automatically.

But the same syntax in Windows98 displays "0 files copied". I have to use it in a batch file. How do I do?

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
You can't use this syntax in 98. That's why I gave you that command. In XP command prompt works under Windows XP and can access registry and knows the value of these variables. But in 98 dos prompt cannot deternmine system variables value as it is stand alone and does not work under Windows.

So you cannot use that syntax of Xp and will have to stick to normal syntax. Maybe you can define its value in Batch file itself. but i do not know how to do this. Let's wait for someone who knows this.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Simply replace system32 with system.
In windows 98 system folder is used for same purpose as system32 used in xp...

aadipa

Padawan
naikosen said:
navjotjsingh said:

Thank you very much.

The syntax you mentioned is for the simle usage of 'Copy' command which is known even to computer novice.

In WindowsXP, the syntax I mentioned searches the 'windows\system32' folder itself ( no matter if it is in C: or in D: ) and copies the stuff in it automatically.

But the same syntax in Windows98 displays "0 files copied". I have to use it in a batch file. How do I do?

%WinDir% should work on Win98 and it should point to Windows folder. But I don't have Win98 to try this.

Please confirm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom