How to configure SATA and ATA HDD in a single system

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmbabu_9@yahoo.com

Right off the assembly line
Hi to all,
My name is Babu. I've computer system and two Hard disks. One HDD is SATA(160 GB) and another one is ATA(80 GB) HDD. Currently I'm using SATA HDD. I'm looking to attach ATA HDD as Master and SATA HDD as Slave. I'm not getting how to fix both of that HDDs in a single system. Is it possible to do like that or not? May I need to use any jumper plugs or not? It works without using jumper plugs. Please give me the solution.

Thanks for all,
Babu.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Hello Babu,

umm.. Some thing is not clear in your question that is, Why would you need to make some thing slave and master ??

See why the funda of Master and slave came as to run mutliple ID devices under single IDE cable or controller. Master / Slave has not much thing to do in real time apps or how yor PC works,

So why would you need to make such setup ??

thanks.

OP
D

dmbabu_9@yahoo.com

Hi thanks for your reply.

Actually I'm looking to use two HDDs(SATA & ATA) in my system. Please give me the direction to fix that both HDDs. If I fix that both HDDs like SATA HDD cable to SATA port on Mother board and ATA HDD cable to ATA port without using any jumper plugs. Then it works proerly or not? Actually I'm looking to use ATA hdd for operating systems(Windows n Linux) and SATA Hdd for storing my data.

Thanks,
Babu

imgame2

Padawan
there is nothing like master/slave in SATA ...every SATA drive can be master ...just connect them as u would do...and i would suggest install ur operating system on SATA drive since it will much faster than PATA ...and in bios just make sure the SATA drive is listed before PATA .....that should do ...if u did not understand it ...tell me ur config and the drives model and mobo model i can tell u more explicitly

OP
D

dmbabu_9@yahoo.com

Thanks for your response.
That both HDDs are Seagate company. YEs SATA is faster than ATA. But I want ATA HDD booting first. How can I cinfigure? Please advice me about that one. And SATA hdd is 160 GB capacity. That's why I'm looking to use that HDD for storing my data. And ATA hdd is 80 GB, I want to use it for Operating systems.
Is it possible? Please explain How?

Thanks,
Babu.

imgame2

Padawan
Thanks for your response.
That both HDDs are Seagate company. YEs SATA is faster than ATA. But I want ATA HDD booting first. How can I cinfigure? Please advice me about that one. And SATA hdd is 160 GB capacity. That's why I'm looking to use that HDD for storing my data. And ATA hdd is 80 GB, I want to use it for Operating systems.
Is it possible? Please explain How?

Thanks,
Babu.

tell me the drive models and ur motherboard model and if possible the bios version u are using ...why do u want to use a slower drive for ur OS ...ur comp will run slow ...u want ur comp to run slow ...??

OP
D

dmbabu_9@yahoo.com

:) No, I don't like to run my system slow.
But I'd like to know is it possible or not? My mother board is Intel 945G chipset and, But I don't the numbers of my HDDs. My SATA hdd is barrracuda model.
Please help me.

Thanks,
Babu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom