how to configure ntfs drives/drivers? IN ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've 3 drives in windows partitioned as ntfs. Earlier it used to be loaded just as read only. I got ntfs-3g, installed it and modified fstab so that those drives are always configured as r/w using ntfs-3g
I also have an 160gb external drive, also formatted as ntfs. Whenever I insert it, Ubuntu loads it as read only. I have to unmount it and mount it using ntfs-3g everytime.
Is there any method by which I can load it using ntfs-3g always? I can't enter it in fstab because it'll not always be inserted.

praka123

left this forum longback
editing fstab entry for filesystem as ntfs-3g is the only solution.may be ubuntu mount using kernel supported ntfs.but u can always manually mount with ntfs-3g.with fstab,make sure the device as /dev/sdbx and save with "auto" as an option that may help.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Perhaps you can make a shell script that does the unmounting and remounting to help you automate the task...

Arun

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Do this:

Code:
sudo apt-get install ntfs-config

Now go to Applications > System Tools > NTFS Configuration Tool and check the second option in that box (as shown below).

*img396.imageshack.us/img396/1340/screenshotntfsconfigwd1.jpg

Does this work out for you?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
@ninad_mhatre85 - Do the above mentioned procedure and select the first box (or both) and you'll be done.

You're supposed to enter that code "sudo apt-get install ntfs-config" in the Terminal while connected to the internet via Ubuntu.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
@querty guess he does not know what a shell or terminal is

1. In the toolbar above, click on applications->accessories->terminal
2. Now type the command
sudo apt-get install ntfs-config
and press ENTER key on your keyboard
3. You will be prompted for your password which you must type and press
ENTER key
4. It will download and install.
5. Then in the toolbar above go to Applications->System Tools->NTFS Configuration Tool and check both boxes and click ok

You're done!

amitsurana

Broken In
install ntfs-3g by the above methods using "apt".
Edit /etc/fstab as root andinsert follwoing type of lines as per ur drive...

/dev/hda5 /media/<label> ntfs-3g silent,umask=0,force,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0

<label> --> name of directory whr mount point is 2 b created. (it must b created in /media directory).

sample :
/dev/hda5 /media/Songs ntfs-3g silent,umask=0,force,locale=en_US.utf8 0 0

to check if it works type in these commands in shell prompt...

#sudo umount -a
#sudo mount -a

hda5 -> This is my drive number.... Yours might vary...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom