How to compress files??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all u people recently i downloded a software tha was 50mb when i unrared it usingwinrar i got 2 zip files containig parts of software. When i unzipped them i got a 150mb .iso file. I wanna ask can i aslo hav compression ratio of 3:1 for 1gb or more large data using winrar and how??Give me a tutorial kind of u can!!

kundra.nitin

Right off the assembly line
It all depends on what kind of data you wish to compress. Some files just don't have enough scope for compression.
You could also try the 7z format available in 7-Zip.

mako_123

Ambassador of Buzz
There is also a Uharc compressor , google for it for more info . DOnt know much about it but it compresses data to large extents

sknowonweb

Journeyman
Ya data compression is maximum while picture movie compression is too minimum.
SO compress ur text /code files separately to yield maximum efficiency.
In a Linux CD ISO file knoppix of 700MB contains a 2GB size worth of softwares compressed in it.

shoegoe

Broken In
Compression depends on the type of data being compressed. it is possible to compress a 3gb file into 50kb.. that is if the file contains nothing but a 3 gb allocation without data..

I think there are old threads regarding these 50kbto3gb files. they are called bombers i think..

And most of text data..like a .txt .doc file can be compressed to high degrees as they contain repitition of similar characters..

I prefer .rar to .zip as the former is wide spread in distribution. You can see mostly .rar files in all distribtution sites..

in winrar, there is an option to compress to a maximum extent. it just takes hell a lot of time to compress some more..

7-Zip and Uharc are also very good. especially uharc has high compression ratios. this may be due to high compression algorithms.. But ..you cant compress certain data beyond its normal extent inspite you use better compressors..

Hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom