How to change the MAC Address of NIC card manually?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maVen

Broken In
it is very much easy...
Jus follow these steps...
1) Go to the Local Area Connection Icon
2) Right Click and select the properties..
3) In the properties.. In the general tab u will see ur Lan card listed on the first line
eg. D-Link DFE-538TX 10/100 Adapter
and next to it will be the configure button click on it!!!
4) In the new window go to the advanced tab
5) In tht from the list box showin property,select the Network Address
6) Now put the desired MAC Address in the Value Field next to it...
and voila ur Mac address has been changed...

and ya remember to restart ur computer before proceddin wid ur changed settings...

Enjoy!!!

digen

Youngling
A Mac address is a 48-bit[6 byte] & 12 digit hexa decimal number hard coded into the NIC,so just replacing that with "anything" wont do.

digen

Youngling
Yeah I believe or a valid hexdecimal number[dont count on me on this one though].
But may I ask what exactly you want to achieve by doing that?

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Not all NIC cards allow changing of mac addresses. For them u have to use some external utility. Here's a free one:
*www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Misc-Networking-Tools/Mac-Makeup.shtml

But may I ask what exactly you want to achieve by doing that?

Some ISPs like SIFY, use MAC based authentication on their servers. Maybe this kind of auth is new, but my friend at mambalam (chennai) was under such system. I don't know exactly what happened, but I think he got into trouble after installing IPv6 tunnelling prtocol on XP and XP had reported some strange mac address instead of the h/w one. The trouble came with installing linux, which reported the nic's mac and hence was not authenticated on the ISp server.
He had to ask for resetting of mac address for his account. He could very well have used a mac address spoofing utility on linux and programmed the mac address reported by xp. But he got rid of XP itself in favour of linux :)

PraKs

Youngling
MAC Spoofing huh.. u can change from registry or using kmac..

Mostly u can use for arp spoofing. once done it can be used to divert the packets from the switch & re route to the destination IP..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom