How to change drive letter(f: ----> d:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

caje143

Journeyman
First and foremost if u have installed any applications on any of the drives that u want to change the letter of u will not be able to access those applications any more through their shortcuts... once u change the paths...

ok lets try this out...

1. Right click on My Computer
2. Go to Manage
3. Go to Disk Management
Here u will see all the Hard Drives installed with their respective drive letters...
4. Right click on the drive whose letter you want to change... (Say Drive F:)
5. And select "Change Drive Letter And Paths"
It will show you your Drive letter with options below it... like Add,Change,Remove...
6. Select Change
7. Next From the Drop Down List select the Drive letter that you want...
(now if u want to change from F to D and D already exists.. then it will not appear in that list... So u will have to first Select another random letter for the time being so that you can change the drive letter of D: to F: later on...
and then once you do that u can change this random letter back to D:)
8. Once u click on OK.. it will tell u that once the drive letter is changed some applications might not run properly...just as i had told u earlier... so u say ok...
9. ITs DONE...

let me know if u still encounter any problems...

thnx
Caje

OP
CadCrazy

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Thanks Caje.I need to do this temporarily n wil restore it to its default state. wil it stil slo down my comp

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
caje143 said:
First and foremost if u have installed any applications on any of the drives that u want to change the letter of u will not be able to access those applications any more through their shortcuts... once u change the paths...

ok lets try this out...

1. Right click on My Computer
2. Go to Manage
3. Go to Disk Management
Here u will see all the Hard Drives installed with their respective drive letters...
4. Right click on the drive whose letter you want to change... (Say Drive F:)
5. And select "Change Drive Letter And Paths"
It will show you your Drive letter with options below it... like Add,Change,Remove...
6. Select Change
7. Next From the Drop Down List select the Drive letter that you want...
(now if u want to change from F to D and D already exists.. then it will not appear in that list... So u will have to first Select another random letter for the time being so that you can change the drive letter of D: to F: later on...
and then once you do that u can change this random letter back to D:)
8. Once u click on OK.. it will tell u that once the drive letter is changed some applications might not run properly...just as i had told u earlier... so u say ok...
9. ITs DONE...

let me know if u still encounter any problems...

thnx
Caje
Same ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom