how to capture from sony handi cam ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
hi,

I recently bought a sony handicam . i use USB to capture from it. Is there any soft that directly capture in the mpg or compressed format .as of now , it captures in uncompressed format and my entire space is exhausted in
15mins !! ( abt 15GB in one drive ).

thanks in advance.

OP
S

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
i'll try . can u plz suggest some good soft cox i dont expect help from them as most of their softs arent that good.

digiFriend

In the zone
what your are asking is software encoding.
compression into mpeg from avi is very processor intensive task. if you compression while uploading into hardisk, it will result in poor picture quality and frame rate loss. if you do not have powerful computer with lots of ram then your computer might hangs in this process. its same as rendering (converting .AVI files into .MPEG) so it need lots of RAM plus powerful processor.

if you want to direct save in mpeg format, you need capture card with hardware encoding, and that are costly.

for best picture quality,general rule is to copy original AVI format into hardisk. then render it will special effect or format you want.

you can buy 80 G.B 7000RPM harddisk within 2200 RS.

steelwin

Broken In
how to connect my panasonic handycam with my pc .iam a new user of handycam .so please tell me all the possible ways.its better for me to select one of those from them

go_gamez

In the zone
the best way to connect is usingthe i.link (ie. firewire )if u r handycam hgas the firewire support ..and u hae a firewire port in u r pc..

OP
S

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
if u're using USB , connect the one end of the usb cable to the dock or jack or whatever and place the handycam in jack and turn it one . connect teh other end to the PC. its quite easy , u cant possibly go wrong . just dont force it . thats all ...

i got 80GB 7200RPM
1gb ddr333
p4 lga775 3ghz HT processor.

and windows movie maker doesnt give enough quality . its worse than picture pakcage bundled with sony..
thanks
plz help

plsoft

Journeyman
Pinnacle Studio is definitely the software u r looking for, n great quality as well. However, it's a heavy application but with yur config i think u won't have any prob. Hope it solves yur problem.

krish

Journeyman
To capture a video from your sony handycam, u can connect it through the USB cable provided with ur cam. Put the USB mode to "USB Streaming" and use Ulead Video Studio for capturing. That's the best one I've used. The Sony Picture Package, given with the cam is useless as it captures the video in parts of 10 mins. So its better to use other software for capturing. And remember to select the audio device (USB) in the config. of the software.

krish

go4saket

Hello Sagargv... First of all, dont ever transfer your movies through USB. USB is acutally mend to transfer only still images. Always transfer your movies through a Firewire card. Incase if you doont have a firewire card in your computer, you can easily avail one from the market. Its costs about Rs.600-700 and you should have a empty PCI slot in your computer to connect the firewire card.

As for your question, there are many softwares that will help you to convert your video directly to MPEG1 or MPEG2 format, but that is not recommended atall as it will degrade your picture quality like hell. What happens is that these softwares convert your movies with the inbuilt encoder of theirs, which is not that good. The best way is to always capture your movies in umcompressed AVI format and then do all editing (if you want to) in uncompressed format itself. Lastly convert the movie to MPEG1or MPEG2 usind a special software for this purpose. The best software available is CCE SP followed my TMPEG Encoder. CCE SP is the best and takes quite less time, but is for about Rs.1,00,000. So you can go got TMPEG. It is also very good, but quite slow. So you got to keep your patcience. Mind you, this software is also not free. In case of you are planning to go for a pirated version, you know what to do and which one to choose.

After converting your movies with any of these, you can safely delete the uncompressed file. But if you still insist to capture directly to MPEG format, use ULEAD Video Studio. Its the best I have come accross for both capturing and editing.

I hope this clears all your doubts. Incase if you still have any, contact me back...

Last edited:

plsoft

Journeyman
go4saket said:
As for your question, there are many softwares that will help you to convert your video directly to MPEG1 or MPEG2 format, but that is not recommended atall as it will degrade your picture quality like hell. What happens is that these softwares convert your movies with the inbuilt encoder of theirs, which is not that good. The best way is to always capture your movies in umcompressed AVI format and then do all editing (if you want to) in uncompressed format itself. Lastly convert the movie to MPEG1or MPEG2 usind a special software for this purpose.

I don't think we can edit with one software and convert the edited video with another, unless converted first with the software we used to edit the video. Till now i've been editing n converting to MPEG-2 with Pinnacle Studio n the quality is great (i won't say the inbuilt codecs aren't good).

However, if there is a way to edit and convert using different softwares, it wud be good to learn.

go4saket

plsoft said:
I don't think we can edit with one software and convert the edited video with another, unless converted first with the software we used to edit the video. Till now i've been editing n converting to MPEG-2 with Pinnacle Studio n the quality is great (i won't say the inbuilt codecs aren't good).

However, if there is a way to edit and convert using different softwares, it wud be good to learn.

Ofcourse you can. Its quite simple... Capture the video in DV-AVI (Uncompressed ANI) format, edit it with any software you like, say for exapmle Ulead Video Studio. When you want the final output, again choose DV-AVI file format as the output format. This will give you thr edited video in the same uncompressed format that you actually captured. Now use an encoder of your wish, say CCE SP for example.

Thats it...

plsoft

Journeyman
But saket are u sure the output qualities are better with other standalone converters. Since pinnacle and ulead softwares are expensive products, don't u think they wud bundle the best codecs!!

go4saket

My dear friend, you can very well understand from the price difference of Ulead, Pinnacle and CCE SP. Where Ulead & Pinnacle compete package comes in a few thousands, a stand alone CCE SP Encoder costs you a Lakh. Moreover, you can search on the web and you will come to know the powers of CCE SP. Goto *www.doom9.org/mpg/dvdencoding.htm and you will get details of CCE SP there. The encoder of CCE SP is not better but FAR FAR better than any other existing encoder. I have used Ulead, Pinnacle, Canopus, Movie Maker and a few more and trust me, CCE SP stands way ahead. The only software that comes close to it is TMPEG, but that too doesnt match the final output... Trust me on that...

Last edited:

nil_3

In the zone
go4saket said:
...you can very well understand from the price difference of Ulead, Pinnacle and CCE SP. ...I have used Ulead, Pinnacle, Canopus, Movie Maker and a few more and trust me, CCE SP stands way ahead. The only software that comes close to it is TMPEG, but that too doesnt match the final output... Trust me on that...

Dear Go4saket, as you have stated that Cinema Craft Encoder SP is superior than Ulead, Pinnacle etc and this is your personal experience. Does this mean that if you create a videoCD/DVD from an AVI file, the quality of the final output will be far far better if it is encoded by Cinema Craft Encoder? Have you any idea how this outstanding quality is achieved?

go4saket

Forsure the output quality will be far better if it is encoded using CCE SP. As for how this is achieved, that is why they charge Rs.100000 for their encoder. Its all the game of the encoders...The better the encoder the better final uptput you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom