how to boost the perfomance of win98?

Do u think hacking is necessary to increase more technology security awareness

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

harry_nitish

Broken In
hi my dear freinds i am in an urgent need to know the ways and softwares and tweaks all such thing that i can use to boost my win98 perfomance.it is a legal software version no.4.10. i am using a intel p4 2.0 ghz,128 mb ram,40 gb hard disk space.so please do send me a good reply but please dont send any reply offering any updates from microsoft site.bcoz it takes a lot of time in that and also it lets the computer host to many viruses and software injuries.so please kind reply

escape7

What? Where? How?
know what, don't tamper with the sys files, defrag ur system regularly, run antivirus scans regularly and for gods sake upgrade to another OS!

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
but please dont send any reply offering any updates from microsoft site.bcoz it takes a lot of time in that and also it lets the computer host to many viruses and software injuries.so please kind reply

1st of all 98 is already performance boosted.... but u can try system machanic pro....

& u need update from MS to run ur system roperly.... use any Free AVS.... like AVG, NOD32, AVAST.... they protect u....

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
the system u hav can perfectly run windows 2000 pro. But since u have a licensed copy of win98 i think it will hurt u. if u can then buy winxp home for 4000 bucks nd additional 128 mb ram.]
But if u r not willing to pay such ammount then u can try tune up utilities 2004,defrag the registry with it.
Another way is to reinstall windows.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
X-Setup Pro 7.0 has to be the mother of all.

Direct Download here, I suppose.

This might also help.

Also this one and this one. Both serve the same purpose & are the same, though.

Another good one

I hope u got more than u looked for.

Biplav

In the zone
i got some on makin windows 98/me faster.
none are mine . i had just gathered it from some source and now i dunno the website. so sorry for no source.here it goes.

More Speed!:
To gain a small speed improvement, go into the Display applet and then the effects tab. Under visual effects, disable everything except "Show icons using all possible colors." This will speed up menus, moving windows around, and a few other things as well.

Realigning your files can improve operating system and application speed by up to 10%. By aligning your files for Windows to make them run faster (the computer dynamically aligns all files loaded into memory anyway, so doing it beforehand saves CPU time) - There's a program that comes with Microsoft Office 2000 called OTUNEUP.EXE that does this process rather painlessly

Under TweakUI disabling all of the 'effects' will increase system performance by disabling extra animations and features within the operating system. Also setting the menu speed to fast will allow you to browse through the start menu and any right-click menus as quickly as possible.

Edit your system.ini file in the windows directory - under the [386Enh] heading Add the line ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 This can significantly reduce Virtual memory use as it makes Windows use (fast) RAM before the (slow) Swapfile. This setting will tell Windows-ME not to use the swap file at all until all of the RAM is used. After all of the RAM is used, the computer will push most of the infrequently used data to the swap file. This is a great tweak. This is particularly beneficial for those with 256MB RAM. While you are there in the [386Enh] section, you might want to also add another couple of lines; DMABufferSize=64 to tweak DMA performance. This will conserve at least 64KB of memory to DMA (direct memory access) to reinsure that your DMA devices always have enough memory allocated. Note that this tweak should only be used if you have one or more DMA enabled devices on your system PageBuffers=32 This setting tells the computer to dedicate a certain amount of RAM to buffer the hard drive rather than allowing the operating system to dynamically handle the buffer. Windows dynamic handling of most memory issues is very inefficient, due to the large difference Windows sets between minimum and maximum values. 32 is the highest setting the operating system allows, so it is recommended that you use this value. LocalLoadHigh=1 This setting tells the operating system to load its local drivers into upper memory by default as opposed to trying to squeeze them into conventional memory. This is a good tweak if you have less than 128MB of RAM, but may actually hinder performance for those with 128MB or more - Test it for yourself to see which works best for you. Add these under [vcache] section: Minfilecache=XXXXX This will set the minimum value to how much swap file in KB your system will dedicate. To figure out what to replace XXXXX with, it is recommended that you take 10% of your RAM and multiply that number by 1024 (to convert to KB). For example, If you have 128MB of RAM, so 10% of 128 is 12.8. 12.8 multiplied by 1024 is 13107.2. I would then replace XXXXX with 13107. Maxfilecache=XXXXX This will set the maximum value to how much swap file in KB your system will dedicate. To figure out what to replace XXXXX with, it is recommended that you take 25% of your RAM and multiply that number by 1024 (to convert to KB). For example, If you have 128MB of RAM, so 25% of 128 is 32. 32 multiplied by 1024 is 32768. I would then replace XXXXX with 32768. *Note: Some people prefer to set their min and max filecache to the same value, so as to lessen the time the computer spends with the swap file when the swap file is in use. If you have large amounts of RAM, namely 256MB or more, you can easily set the min and max to the same size without worry. Chunksize=XXX This setting determines how large the chunks are that are allocated to each program residing in the vcache. A program can have more than one chunk, but if it doesn't divide evenly into the size of the chunk, some RAM goes unused (i.e. is fragmented). On one hand, having a smaller chunk size allows for less wasted RAM in the vcache, however, on the other hand, a larger chunk size increases the access speed for the vcache. Common values are 128, 256, 512, 1024, and 2048 . The rule of thumb is, if you have any newer monster multi-GigaByte size hard disk, you may want to set this value to "high": 2048 - 4096. If you don't work frequently with multi-MegaByte size files, you may want to set it to "low": 256 - 1024. Save the changes & reboot your system for the change to take effect.

Set file system to cache about 3 times higher than with the 'Network Server' default setting. MaxCache will use 128KB RAM and provide for 6144 Cached Files and 204 Directories. For comparision NetworkServer uses 40KB RAM and provides 2729 Files and 64 Direcroties. Download MaxCache.reg and when it ask you what you would like to do with this file tell it to 'Open this file from its current location.' Before using this registry file, please back up your registry file - DO NOT use if you do not know how to restore your registry file.

Edit the MSDOS.SYS file in your root directory (you may have to uncheck 'hide protected operating system files' in the Folder Options under View in the Control Panel for you to view Msdos.sys. Also, make sure you right click Msdos.sys, click properties, and then uncheck 'read-only' to be able to save this file once you have added these options) Add these under the [Options] section: Dblspace=0 This will tell the OS not to load the DoubleSpace compression program during boot up, thereby freeing up memory and reducing an unnecessary program from running. Do not use this if you are using have a compressed hard drive! Drvspace=0 This setting tells the OS not to load the DriveSpace compression program during boot up, thereby freeing up memory and reducing an unnecessary program from running. Do not use this if you are using have a compressed hard drive! Logo=0 This setting will disable the Windows start-up logo during boot, thereby reducing time to load. If you like the Windows logo, don't use this setting. Bootdelay=0 This setting tells the OS not to delay when switching from your BIOS POST to the OS boot up. Although most users already do not experience a delay, this guarantees that you have a zero delay. Disablelog=1 This setting will disable all event logging that occurs during boot up, thereby reducing the amount of time wasted to perform this task. If you wish to have your boot up logged, usually in order to find errors, do not use this setting. Doublebuffer=X This setting tells the computer whether or not to use double-buffering for your hard drive. If you have a large FAT32 partition or you use SCSI, I recommend that you enable this by inserting a 1 for the X. If you have a smaller FAT32 partition (under 10 GB per partition is a good rule) or you still use FAT16, I recommend that you disable this by inserting a 0 for the X.

Having trouble with icon refresh and display? Maybe your icon cache is too small. This patch will increase the IconCache setting. Download IconCache.reg and when it ask you what you would like to do with this file tell it to 'Open this file from its current location.'

Speed Up Internet Explorer 5:
The HTTP 1.1 spec limits the number of simultaneous connections any one browser can make to a given server. This IE tweak turns off IE's built-in compliance with this standard, and lets your copy of IE open far more simultaneous connections with a server. This means your browser can grab many chunks of a web page at one time, speeding load times.

1) Run Regedit
2) Navigate to the following folder:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\InternetSettings]
3) Create the following "DWORD": MaxConnectionsPerServer
4) Set the value to any high number (the default is 2)
5) Creat the following "DWORD": MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server
6) Set the value to any high number as well (the default is 4)

Modem Connection Timeouts:
This little tweak will reduce the amount of Timeouts you may experience.

1) Run Regedit
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\ Services\Class\Net\000x]
3) Double click on: Slownet
4) Change the value to: 00

Change Registered Owner :
1) Run Regedit
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\ WINDOWS\CURRENT VERSION]
3) Double click on: RegisteredOwner
4) Type in any name you like.

CDFS Cache Tweaking:
his tweak immensely helps slower computers trying to play DVD's from a DVDROM drive. 450 Mhz is considered a bit slow, but it is possible to get DVD playback without dropped frames. The CDFS Tweak is in the registry:

1) Run Regedit
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\ Control\FileSystem\CDFS]
3) Set the following:
CacheSize = 0x00000800 (2048) - the default is 0x0000026b (619)
Prefetch = 0x00000800 (2048) - default is 0x000000e4 (228)
PrefetchTail = 0x00000200 (512) - default is 0x00000080 (128)
4) Reboot, and test your DVD playback.

Instead of manually editing the registry you can download CDFS.reg(*myweb.accessus.net/~090/) and when it ask you what you would like to do with this file tell it to 'Open this file from its current location.' Before using this registry file, please back up your registry file - DO NOT use if you do not know how to restore your registry file.

Biplav

In the zone
and yes as already mentioned , use system mechanic- dont use the latest version: it takes huge space and memory but go for an older version.
believe me system mechanic works really well.
use a software called :Reg seeker it does eliminate all useless and non valid registry entries and also it shows what type of files we dont use or use less- so u have an option to delete those too.. dont have the site address now. wait its

Reg seeker
try it and tell me how it works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom