How To Add Multiple MX Entries And Set Multiple Preference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuXian

In the zone
I am unable to add another MX entry for my domain. I am using CPanel ver 9. Its got the option to just set one MX record. How do I add more?

Naturally even the MX preference option is not available. My Mail host wants MX preference of 10 but my domain takes it 0. Agreed zero is the best value but the Mail Host wants 10.

Plz Help.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
As far as I've seen, the only thing it allows you to do is to add one MX entry and then modify it. The usual procedure I've seen is that if you want to add more A, CNAME or MX records, you need access to a Premium plan, not the basic ones, that will open up a "Advanced DNS" option that will allow you to fully change your MX entries as well as add new ones along with their preferences. Having said that I've heard of people contacting Customer Support and being able to convince them to add multiple MX records for allowing mail server failovers and for redundancy. I also read some people's angry posts that CPanel flat out refuses to allow multiple MX entries. :lol: Go figure!

OP
tuXian

tuXian

In the zone
The reseller from whom I purcahed has acess to WHM. Will that solve the prob. If I get a confirmation that it can be done through WHM (which I suppose is more advaned and has got a DNS Zone editor) then only I will try to persuade him to add else try to figure out something else.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Yes, if your reseller has access to WHM and is willing to help you out here, he can always go "DNS Functions", select "Edit a DNS Zone", choose the domain and then add the MX records and set their preferences. No idea whether he will be willing to, of course. Try persuading him that your MX records are critical and you're just planning for failover and redundancy.

OP
tuXian

tuXian

In the zone
I just talked to the reseller and he is ready to help.

But he says that once he does that in my CPanel the option to change the MX entry will no longer be allowed. It seems it will give a message

"Sorry, this domain has mutiple MX entries. You must edit it with the DNS Zone Editor"- which tranlates into contacting him everytime a change needs to be done.

Is there any other way out?

Deep

Version 2.0
yes he is right...

u cannot have more than 1 MX entry for one domain....but you can have diff entries for subdomains i suppose....

or ask him to modify entry of your current domain to the one you want...

what exactly is the requirement?

Deep

OP
tuXian

tuXian

In the zone
as @enoonmai mentioned the need is nothing special but just planning for failover and redundancy.

The matter isnt serious but nothing is wrong in aquiring the know how

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
tuxian said:
I just talked to the reseller and he is ready to help.

But he says that once he does that in my CPanel the option to change the MX entry will no longer be allowed. It seems it will give a message

"Sorry, this domain has mutiple MX entries. You must edit it with the DNS Zone Editor"- which tranlates into contacting him everytime a change needs to be done.

Is there any other way out?

Not that I know of, buddy. But then, how often do you go around changing your MX entries? Go ahead and if you wanna change it, a simple call/email should do the trick, and the redundancy that it offers is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom