How they manage????Yahoo,g-mail rediffmail etc.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajas700

Youngling
I have a dought that how the mail service providers manage they server for space.Since they have been providing 1 to 2.5 g.b for each member and how they manage for such a space???And what the thing happens if we create a mail id is 2 g.b space create for as or it is imgation????How they track members such person who gives fake news(RUMOR)???Is we can also Track such a person?If so how to find???Any one?????????????

jack// ani

In the zone
Well....I'm pretty sure they provide space on demand, I mean to say space is provided only when you need it!!! If you've signed up a 2.5gb mail.....that dosent mean you really have that much sapce....even if your mail box is empty!!!

ishaan

Padawan
they must be seeing past records n stuff 2 see usage and once they started wid sum space dey add as and when needed

no member uses his 2gb in seconds, and wen dey see that space is gettin full they add more storage

eg. if there are 100 users of 2gb each, that doesnt meant they got 200gb. they mite hav got like 100gb rite now and if they see suppose more than 70% is used up, its time to buy more storage so they make it 150gb or something like that.

they must b having sum kinda ratio of storage actually needed and number of members, which they must b maintaining

hypothetical situation - within 1 second, all the current users fill up their 2gb of space, i dont think it will b possible cuz they wont actually hav dat much storage physically present

ud think every time a new member was added, they will send the office boy around d street 2 buy another HDD from the local computer shop :lol: :lol: :lol:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
ishaan said:
ud think every time a new member was added, they will send the office boy around d street 2 buy another HDD from the local computer shop :lol: :lol: :lol:

RFLol ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ek 500 GB Hdd please ! Nahin, sorry sir, Do !

Well, they might be using some high text compression too, who knows :roll:

ishaan

Padawan
see from the header they can know ur originating ip address

using that ip, they can kno which ISP has assigned that ip to his customer

then they ask the ISP to check their records and see who has that ip...for dialup users, they see who was using that ip at that point of time cuz in dialup the ip changes each time (dynamic ip)

daz how they can get 2 u

its tuffer in cyber cafes cuz anonymous ppl can come n use n go away...so daz y cyber cafe owners r encouraged 2 maintain records of who was using which pc at which time

its even tuff in networks sharing internet esp in big organisations where there are 100s of computers....thats wen conventional investigation takes over

also, u can find out the general location of a person using his ip like new delhi, bombay,etc

see this - *www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm

shoegoe

Broken In
Hmm.. Actually, the way of file handling and manipulation done by the servers in such free mail/ similar companies is very different. The actual file system used by the servers to store our mails is differnt from what we think.They dont have fat32/ntfs/alike file systems. For eg. Gmail has GFS(Gmail File System) file system or similar ones. So they have several algorithms to compress our mail in their storage. Note that the e-mails mosltly received are plain text and can be compressed to very high level. And mostly , they dont decate 2gbs or so for a single user. From what i've seen, The files are stored as parts randomly. The maintainence of the servers is surely very high, but they have their own allovences.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom