how many time we can format the hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajas700

Youngling
how many time we can format the hard drive?And how frequent we can format the drive?is any problem will arise?

OP
R

rajas700

Youngling
ok.i heard that once we format the drive the thing in the drive were not deleted only windows image itself as deleted.so if we go on deleteing some software how much data can be stored in 80 g.b drive?(how much gb will image as deleted0

sms_solver

In the zone
LIfe of hard disk according to me is 5 years, so you can format your hard disk at least 5 times (once in a year)

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
its not specific that hadd MUST work for 5 or XX amount of time.....but one thing everytime u format ur hard drive u lesses its life FOR SURE ...in the past 2 yrs i have formatted my disk for some 60-90 times (kiddin) and one of my friend who nvr formatted ..i can c the diff............

mediator

Technomancer
Well i must have partitioned my hardisk like 20 times in the last 3 years and still perfectly running.

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
mediator said:
Well i must have partitioned my hardisk like 20 times in the last 3 years and still perfectly running.

cant even remember how many times i did that....once it was like 5 times in a day....cos i was a noob at linux partitions there and resst need not b said

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
shivaranjan.b said:
I format my hdd every month no harm formatting does not cause any harm to hdd....

Regards...

no harm....but its lessens the life...

and someone told abou quick formatting...yup it doesnt effects as much as full format

d

Journeyman
dudes......get a life!!formatting the hdd is just redrawing the tracks and sectors on the media....so formatting in essence is just like writing to a disk...doesnt lessen the life of the disc any more than me owning microsoft.

theraven

Technomancer
actually quick format DOESNT delete the files
it just removes the files entry from the partition table
and quick or full .. it wont make a different ...
low level formats decrease capacity of hdd .. which we dun normally do .. and thankfull dont ahve an option for unless we use specific software for

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
d said:
dudes......get a life!!formatting the hdd is just redrawing the tracks and sectors on the media....so formatting in essence is just like writing to a disk...doesnt lessen the life of the disc any more than me owning microsoft.

preach what u teach......

get 2 hdd... format one 100 times and dont format other one.... install some os...u will know the difference

EDIT: i brought one practical example of me and my friend...

go4saket

Hello! I dont think formatting does any harm to your HDD, specially quick formatting. I have been doing it regularly since the last six to seven years but my HDD still works great. So just dont worry and format your HDD...

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Heh .. If the posts in General Discussion hadnt pruned you'd have found my old posts ...

Formatting a drive cannot and doesnot do any harm to the hard disk .. Format program actually recreates the File Allocation Table that is the address of files, sectors alloted to them and all that .. It does not touch the media so no question of any harm . ..

Now what people normally refer to as low level format .. They are actually referring to Zero Fill .. What this program does is to initialize all the sectors of hard drive to zero .. so the data is wiped away .. This is time consuming process as each and every sector is read and write .. Bad sectors can be found here (Found and not created) as if some part of drive doesnt respond in the manner it should, it is marked as bad sector .. So the program doesnt do anything to the physical media ..

d

Journeyman
hi virus....sure thing, buddy, as long as you pay for the hard-drive......i'm not xactly loaded....and i'm getting tired of my fx-5200...so i'd rather spend on that than a second hard-drive to format a hundred times. jus give me ur credit card no., plzz :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom