How long P4 with HT live

Status
Not open for further replies.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
What do you think about Intel Pentium 4 with HT technology processor family? How long will it live in the world of dual-core, quad-core processors...???

Is it worth upgrading with such processors at this time???

Please comment with your suggestions(with facts)...

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
If u can go in for core2duo ........Nothing beats it presently.
Well i don think there would ever be a proccy which we can buy n remain satisfied( there will always be better technologies to go in for)

*www.cheesebuerger.de/images/midi/verschiedene/h074.gif

Last edited:
B

brutality9k

it is not adviced to buy it new, if u already have an old HT based CPU , stick with it.

OP
subratabera

subratabera

Thankyou codename_romeo, brutality9k for your suggestions, but please provide some hard facts which are against P4 (HT), and why core2duo is better...(for 4-5 year upgrade cycle)...

Waiting for more comments...

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
i would suggest that IF u can upgrade n want to upgrade then core2duo is the choice. U want hard facts regarding core2duo n against p4ht.
P4 HT is not a bad proccy , it will last you depending on primary role of your computer.
Post your complete configuration n the purpose of your pc ............
The we can suggest wat u actually need

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
IF U'R A ->>

Gamer : U should already have a dual core either X2 or even better a Core2 Duo

General : P4 HT should easily go through to the end of 2007 till dual core's become mainstream ..

Hope it answers ur question ..

aneesh kalra

Mclaren F1 Long tail
See if u do not do much high end multitasking such as playing a resource hungry game like fear hungry and encoding music at a very high rate simulanteously playing music in the background then you do not need a core 2 duo and a p4 ht which i presntly have will suffice .please share your overclocking experience if any.

OP
subratabera

subratabera

OK. Thanks again...

I also want to upgrade my PC with C2D...But the price factor is the biggest hurdle in front of me. I love to play games but I'm not a diehard gamer. I love to try new Operating Systems (especially various flavours of Linux)...Also I want to be ready for Vista although I'm a full time Linux user...(Linux also getting very demanding these days).

So in this circumstances, what do u think, should I wait for C2D prices to be reduced or go for P4(HT)??? What do u think about the following configuration-->

P4(HT)
Intel 915 MoBo (with PCIe 16x)
512 DDR2 RAM
256MB PCIe Graphic Card
160 GB Maxtor SATA HDD (7200 RPM)

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
so u are planning to buy a P4 HT ?

If it is so then don go in for that ( my opinion).
See my signature n get something similar to my configuration.
It will look out both your price factor n gaming demands.
This mobo has pci e for future expansion of graphics cards
Right now i am going through my end sem exams so not installing any new games. You can wait till 20 th then i can give you detailed review of which all games you can play on this config. I used to have a P4 1.7 ghz proccy.
This machine is a mean machine as compared to my old pc. I am really glad about having this.

Last edited:

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Getting a new single core CPU right now would be a tragedy ... if u'r going to buy a new CPU+Mobo combo , then the cheapest u can go for is a X2 3600+ along with a Asus M2N-E .. that's be way better than P4 HT anyday .. and should last well into 2008 ..

Also , it'd be helpful if u'd mention ur budget too ..

OP
subratabera

subratabera

Thankyou once again guys. I really appreciate your help...

BTW my budget is around 15K-18K excluding monitor, DVD ROM, CD-RW (I have them already)...I just want to upgrade my old PC (celeron 1GHz, 256 MB SDRAM, i810 series mobo...)

I can spend more but I don't want to...(because of frequent upgrade cycles now-a-days)...

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
my config would cost u around 18k inclusive of DVD RW. so u can cut that off.

So u can get my config for around 15 to 16k

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
32-Bit processors in general will last for a near year more. If you have a RAM exceeding 2 GB, its time for you to go 64.

OP
subratabera

subratabera

That's why I like this forum...The members of this forum are really helpful...
Thankyou all once again...Now I will surely go for a dual core processor...So may I request you all to post a complete configuration (excluding monitor, keyboard, mouse) of your choice under 18K...(it should include a 256MB graphic card also if possible)...And also suggest a possible lifetime for your configuration...

codename_romeo

Romeo + Lucifer = ME
Well u prefer Pentium D or AMD X2 ?
That is whether you want to have a Intel Config or AMD config?
People in this forum would call pentium D a crap, but i wont call it so. They are calling it crap comparing it with Core2duo but then it was never meant to be compared with core2duo.

blackpearl

The Devil
I have a Pentium D 820 and its sufficiently fast. Crap isn't the word.
I would have gone for C2D but they were not available then.

Vyasram

The pWnster
according to scientists , all processors can live for about 10-20 years (worktime)

btw go for intel's core2duo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom