(,'') How does website earns? ('',)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Friends,

I want to know how exactly the internet firms earn money through their webpages?
For Ex :Their are lot of instant messengers freely available for us,Free mail accounts from yahoo,gmail,rediff...,softwares,ebooks etcetera...

If such stuffs are freely available then how do the firm earns from us?

Thanks,
Kunal

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
They earn through ads.
Seen those small text or banner ads on pages? They charge the companies for those.

And some Indian sites such as sify will give you 5 pop-ups for every 1 page you visit.

If you have ever visited a sify i-way, you will understand why they don't use a pop-up bloacker. They put ads so desperately that when you click the empty area on the google search result page, an ad pops up. Also if you have an sify email account, everyday you find emails sent in names of girls asking you to join shaadi.com or other such sites. These Indian service providers make people feel as if they are doing a great favour by providing free services.Yes its a favour, but cheapened by exhorbiant ads.

Rediff is no exception, though it is somewhat tolerable.

Sites like Yahoo and Google put ads but do not cross the limits.

And ya, about those free ebook sites, just see if they are providing legal copies or pirated copies. There are really few providing legal ones.

Last edited:
OP
C

crystal_pup

Agreed that Ads is one of the main factor by which the website generates revenues,but how about the social networking websites?
I hardly see any advertisements in orkut.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
NucleusKore said:
I think your personal information on Orkut is worth far more than any ad.......ITS YOU. Think about it
But they do have and follow a privacy policy.
Its a different thing that they keep you logged on in google accounts so that they can track your serach queries.

Gursimran

WebDev :)
Just like TV channels earn by showing adverts, The more the website is popular, the more it earn $$$
for small sites, we earn from different services like Google Adsense, Adbrite, etc
regards :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom