How do I slipstream windows xp service pack 3 iso into windows xp sp2 CD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a small question regarding microsoft windows xp:

I need to slipstream MS XP SP3 into my MS XP Professional CD which is already having SP2. I currently have a Microsoft Windows XP SP2 CD and I need to create another windows xp CD that has SP3 in it, (or atleast an ISO). I need to do a fresh install with the newly created xp cd. I want to mention that I currently can work in windows xp only in safe mode, so a solution from within linux will be prefered.

legolas

Padawan
Here it says that its advisable to slipstream only in XP or 2003. Also I found the same on other sites. So, I think you should do it carefully.

btw, I need to add a bunch of softwares like vlc, mplayer, firefox, thunderbird, notepad++, openoffice, devcpp, turbocpp, gimpshop, etc to the iso. is it possible ?

one more set of questions:

1. Do I need to burn the SP3 iso to a CD before nliting ?

2. Do I need to make an iso of windows xp sp2 cd ? Or is it enough to place it in the drive ?

3. What is better - creating an nlited CD of windows XP SP3 then installing it or installing windows xp sp2 cd then installing service pack 3 ?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
one more set of questions:

1. Do I need to burn the SP3 iso to a CD before nliting ?

2. Do I need to make an iso of windows xp sp2 cd ? Or is it enough to place it in the drive ?

3. What is better - creating an nlited CD of windows XP SP3 then installing it or installing windows xp sp2 cd then installing service pack 3 ?

well I have not tried sp3 yet but as far as nlite is concerned, the answer to your first 2 questions is no. nlite requires you to copy the contents of the win xp cd to a folder on ur drive and then it will make a new iso which you can burn

here is the guide to using nlite and link to the official site:

*www.nliteos.com/guide/

well I have not tried sp3 yet but as far as nlite is concerned, the answer to your first 2 questions is no. nlite requires you to copy the contents of the win xp cd to a folder on ur drive and then it will make a new iso which you can burn

here is the guide to using nlite and link to the official site:

*www.nliteos.com/guide/
waddabout last question ?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
theoretically there is no difference people normally choose the stand alone installer if they have a sp2 cd and don't wish to make a sp3 cd, if they wish to it makes no difference

question: will the extra stuff in the sp3 cd, like .net, fit into the new windows cd ? and can I insert my licence key into the cd and make it an unattended installation, ie just install the damn OS to a partition I choose ? And can I make two extra users in the system ?

The MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION:

WILL THIS WORK IN SAFE MODE ?

legolas

Padawan
To your question reg. working on Safe mode, just give it a try. Its easier than even searching. In my knowledge, it should.
but, I hope you got the difference it would make if you slipstream in any other platform other than XP and 2003. So, if not on safe mode, I would slipstream on another XP system.

To your question reg. working on Safe mode, just give it a try. Its easier than even searching. In my knowledge, it should.
but, I hope you got the difference it would make if you slipstream in any other platform other than XP and 2003. So, if not on safe mode, I would slipstream on another XP system.
then I have my work cut out before me:

01. Burn Ubuntu 8.04 cd
02. Burn Zenwalk cd
03. Burn freespire 2.xyz cd
04. burn my linux minor distros, games and software collection DVD
05. Slipstream windows xp sp3 into windows xp cd
06. Burn windows xp sp3 CD
07. Burn my /home folder to a DVD after tarring it
08. Install windows XP
09. Install essential software for windows and configure them
10. Install ubuntu 8.04
11. Configure ubuntu 8.04 and install my 3gb of wanted ubuntu software
12. Take a break; go to sleep

Do you guys think I can successfully do the set of operations before 7:00 PM ?

legolas

Padawan
No. but to give you a glimpse of hope let me give a punch dialogue,
"Don't think you are, know you are" :p :p
just kidding, I think you could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom