How do I prevent people from installing stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
How can I prevent someone from installing any program in my XP Pro account (Admin)? My sister installs cr@p programs that have spyware and I want her to be unable to install any program and I don't want to make a seperate user account for her.

hansraj

In the zone
run gpedit.msc and u can have control over lot of things in u r pc....... but log in with administrator privelages....
also u r prob of restricting people from installing using the installer will be solved without using any third party software

thadhanihemant

Journeyman
in the group policy
swithch to
Computer configuration>Administrative templates>Windows components>Windows Installer

here u will find a policy named "Disable Windows Installer" enable it
all done

and make sure that in this policy after enabling it ,, it is set to always ,coz by default it is set to never
which will not disable the installer.............

dIgItaL_BrAt

Cyborg Agent
thadhanihemant said:
in the group policy
swithch to
Computer configuration>Administrative templates>Windows components>Windows Installer

all done

and make sure that in this policy after enabling it ,, it is set to always ,coz by default it is set to never

but that only prevents software which use the Windows Installer,not software which employ the Nullsoft,Installshield or other third-party installers.

Tech&ME

Banned
dIgItaL_BrAt said:
thadhanihemant said:
in the group policy
swithch to

all done

but that only prevents software which use the Windows Installer,not software which employ the Nullsoft,Installshield or other third-party installers.

Try to disable execution of any SETUP.EXE file.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
best way is turn on the guest a/c
and using user password 2 u can set it to open by default,even u can use it. it is also safe as if a hacker gains control of ur comp he does not have suffient rights to cause widespread damage.I myself use this kind of setting but i have created a account for it . when u got to install something just logoff & logon to admin account

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom