How do I install the SuSe 9.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpoon

Journeyman
When I try to install to install the SuSe 9.1 from the DVD ,a message pops up asking to open or save.When I click on "open", it asks for a programme to open the file or to search the web for a programme.It is an ISO file, so how do I open & execute the file?
I have simply no idea about Linux so will some body please help me start from a scratch.

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
Burn the ISO image onto a cd.
Boot ur system using this cd u created.
N u ll get the setup menu with help pages.

OP
H

harpoon

Journeyman
CANNOT BOOT FROM CD ROM.PLS HELP!

Dear Amit,

Thanks for ur reply; but even after I changed the first boot device to CDROM ,my PC restarts into WIN XP.I have one CD writer,and one DVD ROM drive.Please help!

tushar_novice

Broken In
Excuse me. Is that CD a live CD `coz suse 9.1 comprises of 5 cds. Well I don't know about Suse `coz I use RH9. U should send ur problem to DIGIT.

busyanuj

In the zone
harpoon said:
When I try to install to install the SuSe 9.1 from the DVD ,a message pops up asking to open or save.When I click on "open", it asks for a programme to open the file or to search the web for a programme.It is an ISO file, so how do I open & execute the file?
I have simply no idea about Linux so will some body please help me start from a scratch.

harpoon, it seems, you didn't follow Amit's suggestion.

use Nero or some other cd-writing software to burn the ISO file to a blank cd-rom.

then, boot your computer using that cd-rom to install SuSE Linux 9.1

It is the Personal Edition of SuSE, that's why it comes in 1 cd, the other edition comes in multiple cds.

OP
H

harpoon

Journeyman
It's the digit DVD of August.Yes, I indeed burnt the ISO file on a CD ROM, but even after changing the first boot to CD ROM in the BIOS,the P.C still restarts into XP.Help needed regarding thsi strange problem.

ujjwal

Padawan
Get a CD Burning software like Nero (most prolly your CDRW drive comes with one) load the software and choose the option of burning an image to the disk. Enter the location of the ISO file as the image location.

OP
H

harpoon

Journeyman
:lol: Got knoppix live CD up & running. Thanks to everybody who have taken their time to post me.Thanks once again.

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
Dude
Were u tryin to copy paste the img onto ur cd like ya
do in explorer?
Mate thats not what ya call 'Burnin an image'.
Good to know u got ur knoppix live CD up & running.
Enjoy ur linux expireance with knoppix and
familiarize ur self with the tux.
But with time u ll surely want a taste of the real tux
which ya wont get with ur knoppix live cd.
Hes very addictive.
then its the right time to go for suse or redhat.

OP
H

harpoon

Journeyman
Thanks Amit.

Dera Amit,

Thanks for ur help. I will be installing Suse tomorrow & will be looking forward to your help in case of any difficulty.

adityabakle

Right off the assembly line
Check this out

Hello Amit

It seams u have the same configuration as i do. I have installed the SuSe 9.1 on My system after Burning the IOS image to a cd. All i did is the following Steps
1. Burnt the ISO Image to CD
2. Restarted & loged into BIOS & changed the Sequence of Boot & made the CDwriter as the first Device to Boot.
3. As i saved & restarted the system it Booted through the CD I followed the instruction & fot it installed.

If still u r getting problem with the CD then make sure u have not Burned it with the speed above 32x. Coz its some time creates problem 4 those cds which r burnt above 32x speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom