How DEMO versions Expire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjithbajpe

Journeyman
HI,
Hey can u tell me how Demo version programs expire? DOnt feel funny!!

S i have a doubt. About Demo versions.

Imagine one software, it is Demo and only for 30 Days. But how the software programmed to expire after 30 Days? Is it depends on the system clock.

By resetting system clock can we use Demo version for long time.

Some demo versions wont work if we uninstall and reinstall it also. why?

If we format windows and reinstall the software can we use the software for 30 more days?

This is important,
imagine i have installed the demo version of software and same day keep a backup or image(using Norton GHOST) of installed Drive (normally C: drive) in D drive. After 30 days if i again copy the image then will the Demo version will work?

please I need help in this topic.

Bye

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Demo software work on time-bomb basis obviously. Time countdown up = boom! buy this!

Most depend on the system clock (not windows), but some can detect changes cause they keep a log or something perhaps.

Resetting clock by a large amount to evade demo time frame scraps the remaining time instead and the Demo prompts you to buy since time has expired.

Yes after reformat they work, if you want to take that extreme.

I doubt if it will run, since your registry remains the same. If your image was made before installing the software then it might work.

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
There is some registry entries made by the application which registers all the details abt installation time, duration, a counter, etc. depending upon the method used. Some log files are also created to beat the changing of date thing. Even if changing the sys date works, how many times is one going to change the date?

There are a number of tools to tweak sharewares into freewares by removing the time limit but this amounts to piracy which is forbidden...

go4saket

Check the below mentioned link! may be you will get some idea...

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26738

nithinks

True Techie
what u all r talking about? the forum strictly prohibits any discussions on
piracy.(here its disussed indirectly)
FORUM ADMIN PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD!

Last edited:

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
Well actually, this must be controlled by registry entries, which do not get wiped off even after uninstalling the software, and in most cases, arent detected by reg cleaners. These entries must be working for a particluar user name, and DO monitor the system clock,( the system clock is fundamental) If u try to install the same expired software in a diff user account, it works fine....hence it is registered foir a particluar user name.

nithinks said:
what u all r talking about? the forum strictly prohibits any discussions on
piracy.(here its disussed indirectly)
FORUM ADMIN PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD!

Where is Piracy? The question asked is "How do demo softwares get expired ?"...and i feel none of us have made any comments about how to evade this..:-?

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
We are just discussing here the technique used in Demo versions. None of the replies here give a link to or provide any kind of code or technique to bypass the "Demo limitation".

So this is not a direct or indirect discussion about piracy but only about "How DEMO versions Expire"

nithinks

True Techie
If anyone wants to know how demo versions expire it means that he is
experimenting with that trick.
well, if i know how demo versions expire,why can't i use that for
preventing those softwares from being expired!? ha?

hsnayvid

Journeyman
ranjithbajpe said:
By resetting system clock can we use Demo version for long time.
Sorry! The good old days are gone!

ranjithbajpe said:
If we format windows and reinstall the software can we use the software for 30 more days?
Yes! but it is painful to format the pc now and then.

anandk

Distinguished Member
these days software makers add hidden acprotect, pcguard, armadillo, obsidium, svk, execryptor, softsentry, etc keys to ur registry....these r some sort of protection mechanisms, to put it simply.

balu_c

Broken In
I will give you the details

1. All programs or installations will have a registry entry in system registry
2. It will refer to system clock for calulation of time and date

What happens is to make your demo not expire you juould just edit some lines in your registry editor and thats it........

blackpearl

The Devil
Indyan said:
Its not just the registry. Softwares like DFX places a .dll file in the system folder.

True. Thats how s/w are protected. Gone are the days when u could edit the registry and turn the demo into a full version.

The best way to protect a s/w is to develop a seperate restricted and limited -feature demo for distribution. S/ws that give away the entire package with only a simple key locking its features are the easiest to crack. Smart developers give away limited feature demo package for distribution like Acronis Disk Director suite, and smarter developers dont distribute any. Eg Autodesk s/ws.

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
nithinks said:
If anyone wants to know how demo versions expire it means that he is experimenting with that trick.
well, if i know how demo versions expire,why can't i use that for
preventing those softwares from being expired!? ha?

It all depends on a person how is he going to use the trick... it is like a double edged sword and can b used anywyz. Not only this a person instead of going thru painful procedure of manually cracking the "expire limit", he can just download cracks for free from millions of websites.

As I said b4, we are just talking abt how s/w's expire and not how to prevent them from expiring.

Also given the current IPR laws in india, experimenting for private non commercial and research purpose wudnt amount to piracy provided it is not used for distribution and commercial purpose or to dupe the co. of what is due to it!

PinKLip

Broken In
To completely remove an application "Total uninstall" can be used.
U donot need to format HD.
more info
*www.martau.com/
It was freeware before, now The freeware version is officially discontinued
A free version was provided in one of the digit CD
A nice application

PinKLip

Broken In
If any one need the old free version of "Total uninstall"(Which came with one of Digit CD) PM me
Thanks
Regards
PinKLip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom