How can i use wifi or inbuilt lan to play games between laptop and PC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayushman9

Journeyman
I have a P5B-MX/WIFI-AP based pc and my friend has a HP-V6000 Series laptop with wifi and Ethernet capabilities .We both have Vista loaded ( i have ultimate .he has home premium ) ,with the help of windows in-built wireless capabilities i was able to set up a wireless connection so that i could see his PUBLIC folders and VICE VERSA .

However i want to see or access his whole PC through mine and He should do same ,also i want to play multi player games and browse his Internet through this connection. How can i do or what settings or tweaks i have to do further ?

Also each of us has an Ethernet port ,i had a spare LAN cable .When i connected it between us ,it's both side LED was blinking showing that connection was perfect .However i was unable to discover his laptop or make an connection to his laptop through this method . How can i do that as wireless is showing speed up to 2mb/s but i think wire method will be more fast. Please tell me the procedure to connect and enable full sharing by both method ?

acewin

Point Blanc
one problem you got here. You need to configure your IP to be able to work all well.
Open your LAN property for ethernet.
Set your IP as 192.168.1.1
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1
No need putting DNS server option
Reboot your system.

Now on other system. set IP as 192.168.1.2
and other settings same
reboot.

Check what happens.
This should work.
I do not think you need a cross connection LAN cord, so I would not explain that part nd would wit for you answer on the solution I gave.

OP
ayushman9

ayushman9

Journeyman
The way or IP changing you have told me ,is it for WLAN or simple ethernet.

one problem you got here. You need to configure your IP to be able to work all well.
Open your LAN property for ethernet.
Set your IP as 192.168.1.1
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1
No need putting DNS server option
Reboot your system.

Now on other system. set IP as 192.168.1.2
and other settings same
reboot.

Check what happens.
This should work.
I do not think you need a cross connection LAN cord, so I would not explain that part nd would wit for you answer on the solution I gave.

how to do the avove stuff in vista ultimate

Last edited:

acewin

Point Blanc
all I sid was for ethernet, and by connecting LAN cord.
Configure your PC first and then to the laptop.

This should work with Vista also.
you are manually setting the IPs and then letting your OS and mobo recognize the systems accordingly

amitash

Intel OCer
its vital to have the same default gateway on ur wireless router...its usually 192.168.1.1 although on my Dlink router its 192.168.0.1 google ur routers default gateway
now to change these details on vista go to control panel>>network and internet>>network and sharing center. ON the left there should be something called "manage network connections" click on that and a window will open up...right click on your connection>>properties>>highlight "internet protocol Version 4" and click properties...here u can change ur network details such as ip address,default gateway,DNS etc. type in ur appropriate default gateway and make sure its the same on both comps..WLAN should work fine now.

amitash

Intel OCer
Not necassarily a router is required...he has a WLAN connetion setup which should suffice.As for normal LAN maybe some firewall is blocking access...try disabling all firewalls and then try

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom