How Can i Shift My microsoft encarta 2003 installation to xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

harry_nitish

Broken In
i have a pentium 4 2.0 ghz processor with 128 mb ram and have a windows xp installation on E: and windows 98se on C:

now about a month ago i ran in some problem in my win98se and had a whole system crash in win98 so i started using winxp but about a last week i ran setup for win98se again and had a part revival of it though some of it system tools dont work

now the problem is that i have microsoft encarta 2003 installed on my win98se and about some months b4 i had an error in my encarta installation cd and so i was not able to setup it on my xp so after reviving my 98 i want a way through which i can move it to my winxp so that i can as well format the c: drive and particularly thats the reason i am not formatting it so can u show me a way through which i can get it on xp

i have alco tried to open the prior installation of encarta on 98se through xp by clicking on the shortrcut icon of encarta but it shows me some error and automatically closes

so provide me with some method or some software thru which i can safely move encarta to xp and run it three so i can format my 98 installation. please help me

sahil_blues

In the zone
i dont think it can be done....i remember installing Office XP both in Windows 98 and Windows XP when i had them both(in my older comp).....its like when you install a software, some files are stored in the Windows folder which are almost impossible to find.....you can take help of the 'brainiacs'.....but in my opinion its not possible

cyberia.in

In the zone
there are too many registry setting, dll's and exe's to deal with. best option would be to do a reinstall.

It'll take days to completely move it from 98 to xp

expertno.1

Technomancer
ok i dont know how to move encarta from one os to another but u can give a try to System Mechanics tranfer softwares feature....see it if it does anyhting...try it......or.........

STEP - 2

open win 98 and backup the registry to another drive

open windows xp

1)just copy ur encarta directory to another drive
2)copy the windows 98 folder to another drive
3)format the drive
4)install win 98
5)copy the win98 folder back
6)copy the encarta folder back
7)double click and merge the reg file (u backed up)
8) now u can use encarta again on 98 but not on xp

What happened--- your drive cleaned and encarta is functonal on win98

thast it but i donno to move it on xp

OP
H

harry_nitish

Broken In
thank u all for ur reply and i want to ask expert no. 1 that the way u suggested will work r u confirmed about it. and the next thing hw do i back up my win98se registry can u tell me any softwares that will help me to backup my encarta registry files and then resettle in winxp directory if not let it be i will try ur method after u show me how to backup my win98 registry files and cant i copy all registry files to my xp directory . will it cause any error

and i think there is problem with my total windows so if i merge old win98se registry files to my new windows98se installation wont it cause any error because u know all my programs and everything will be deleted and still the registry files will be there in the system directory please suggest me a method that will not entrain any error

expertno.1

Technomancer
harry_nitish said:
thank u all for ur reply and i want to ask expert no. 1 that the way u suggested will work r u confirmed about it. and the next thing hw do i back up my win98se registry can u tell me any softwares that will help me to backup my encarta registry files and then resettle in winxp directory if not let it be i will try ur method after u show me how to backup my win98 registry files and cant i copy all registry files to my xp directory . will it cause any error

and i think there is problem with my total windows so if i merge old win98se registry files to my new windows98se installation wont it cause any error because u know all my programs and everything will be deleted and still the registry files will be there in the system directory please suggest me a method that will not entrain any error

DUDE the proecess i mentioned above will bring back ur old windows 98 ut the only benefit is the drive space regained

so if ur old win98 came then the prob onyour old win 98 will be same

the benfit is th ony hard disk space regained and nothing else

ALSO

u cannot use win98 registry on winxp!

u can backup the registry by this-

1)press windwos + r key
2) type regedit
3) clcik on file
4) clcik on export
5) select the folder (another drive coz u will format the currnt)

and done

AND I AM SORRY THAT THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO DO THIS

look for brainiacs and challenge them by changing the topic to

"calling all genius guys and brainiacs---encarta on xp"

OP
H

harry_nitish

Broken In
hi expert no.1 i have seen ur next reply but couldnt understand what u meant to say u said that the drive space will be regained well thats not suppose to be my question whiich i asked u i asked u that will there be any problem on my new win98 installation if i bacup and restore all my registry files and settings to the new win installation directory because any program which we install has a file in windows registry as to start it and the time i fotmat it i mean the c: the all programs will be erased but it still registruy files will remain which i think will create great obstructions in the new one. tell me exactly the answer of my q as i propose to be met. and also u showed me to backup the registry files does it also include the registry files of encarta and also when i ask it to export it settings it asks me in anoter dialog box file name what is this filename i have to write and the another thing it also shows me an option in save as type as to i have to save in as registry files or as all files what should i do . i reckon ur next idea will alos work and i will try to have a new listing of this topic as u suggested. thank u and do send me reply

expertno.1

Technomancer
the proble will arise due to mismatched registry and file location

use refistry repaire to correct the pproblems

AND UR PROBLEM IS NOT CURABLE..i think

if u subscribe digt magazines the digit issue of june 2005 has a free cd which has a software called transfer p.01 .with this u can transfer the files encrypted intowin98 drive to winxp drive

OP
H

harry_nitish

Broken In
hi expert no.1 thank u again 4 ur reply i really aggrete ur reply ok isee udont think that there will be a case of no problem let it be but tell me last and finally r u a 100 percent sure that it will enable me to run microsoft encata 2003 in the new installation i mean does it need anyhting else do u think any thing else is missing

hi vinish thank u for paying a suggestion to my problem lest the expert no.1 advice i think i will also try the method u suggested but please tell me thatt this software ur talking about transferp.01 is in which cd in digit205 and cant i download it online can u provide me a link to its downloading address and the next thing dou think it will work equally in transferring a big program such as encarta encyclopedia in myxp is it fully risk free is there i suppose any gurantee that it might well work almost i need that and what all i had to transfer and what is the method to transfer the files of my encarta installation to xp if win98se is on c: and xp on e:. please do send me a reply.

OP
H

harry_nitish

Broken In
hi guys whats up why rnt u posting any reply just ok let it be please post reply for only for my last question thats all i need please can u .

expertno.1

Technomancer
it wil surely make you do this !!! i ahev tried many times for my own !!!!!!!

like i backed up the registry adn merged witht he new isnatllation and some errors occured but by the help of registry repair the problems solved

but

since no one knows even the brainiacs...moderators...how to do this.......u can try what i have said...but.....

I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY MY ADVICE....it depends upon u

well i ave tried it several times and it has always worked out for me...best of luck.......depends upon u........

V

vishal_bhatia87

If you have the genuine copy then do this procedure. Buy a copy cd of encarta that you can easily get for 50-60 bucks. Install it using your genuine serial-no. thats it. If you are using pirated then i cant help those ***** who are using pirated softwares. I hate piracy.

expertno.1

Technomancer
Mr. harry whast your decision

after applying registry fix the problems will go buti dont think that moving an insatlltion is possible form one os to another

the best would be to take no risk and buy another one of rs. 50 yeah the pirated one..since u had the original walla then i think this will not hurt your morality

buy that illegal and isnatll on xp and ther is no any other way

if u wanna try my above solutions..u can try it also

\and please post here what u r going to do next

OP
H

harry_nitish

Broken In
hi expert no. after reading ur final advice i have come to a conclusion that it will be my dare of shifting it .

this brings me to last and the final querie a final hope. i was posted a reply by vinish_pavithran that there is a software whichcan help to shift encrypted files and settings from 98 to xp. its name is transfer p.01 and it is with this months digits issue. do u have any idea about this software do u any how think that it may be possible. for more queries please carefully read vinish's reply please reply this is my last and final querie. especially thanks to expert no.1 for taking so much toil to respond me . i fully believe that he will give an expected reply of this final submission tooo.

expertno.1

Technomancer
hmm.. let me see what he has said and after trying that software i will tell you to do this or that..wait for my reply

OP
H

harry_nitish

Broken In
whatt happen why didnt u sent a reply h urry up i have already done as u have said and i am waiting only 4 ur answer. eagerly

expertno.1

Technomancer
hmm..tried that software but i dont think this wil solve urs problem

and about mine walla go for that

and remeber my warning also...................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom