how can i oc my amd 64?(mobo-msi k8ngm2il)

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil_maverick

Journeyman
hello ppl,
i recently purchased an --msi k8ngm2il(n force 410) motherboard and an amd 64 3200+(venice core) processor..but now i cant overclock the processor from the bios settings,when ever i try to change the fid settings from the bios settings and try to reboot, the settings go back to its default value!so i cant change the settings!! so does that mean that i cant change the fid settings and overclock my processor??please help!!

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
How much is ur rig equiped with??
Are u sure u.....
Changed and settings in the BIOS and then went back to the BIOS index and selected 'Save Settings and Exit'....

The problem may be due to an invalid BIOS falsh....so try updating ur BIOS to the latest version.......

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
if that mobo has onbaord graphics then don't bank much on ocing, also what ram do you have and what are your temps?

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Well the board has a few drawbacks ... don't mess with it much ...

Also .. get the latest bios .. according to the guys at the MSI forums ... it solves loads of issues ... and it may even unlock some oc'ing options ...

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
the funny thing is i can reduce the frequency to say 1800 mhz..but i cant increase the frequency above the stock 2000 mhz!!!!! does this mean i cant over clock the processor using my mobo(msi k8n gm2il)!!

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
evil_maverick said:
the funny thing is i can reduce the frequency to say 1800 mhz..but i cant increase the frequency above the stock 2000 mhz!!!!! does this mean i cant over clock the processor using my mobo(msi k8n gm2il)!!

Well in general MSI K8N xxxx the whole series does not have much overclocking features...
But the prob may be that overclocking is locked from the BIOS.....Flash the BIOS with the latest updates....

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
If you know one thing. Amd allows you to increase/decrease your multiplier with FX but with other cpus you can only decrease your multiplier.

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
what do i do???????????
so cant i oc my processor??????????????????????
any k8ngm2-il users here?
plz help me!!!!!!!!!!!111

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
I don't think that you will be able to overclock it much if at all.

I would say sell it and get Asus A8N E which sells around 5500+ i think

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
akshayt said:
I don't think that you will be able to overclock it much if at all.

I would say sell it and get Asus A8N E which sells around 5500+ i think

naa...if u r going a new mobo...only for overclocking then get a DFI LanParty series mobo....Its a dream to overclock with...

Kniwor

Learner
that mobo overclocks and overclocks well, i dont know hoe u got ur setting reverted... but check the following...

use a divider in your ram, lower the HTT multi, set the vcore manually and remove the auto setting, and only then u should increase your fsb... and then see how far you go

and dont worry about the graphic... it's locked it seems so no problem there..

i think ur ram ot HTT is problem...

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
How do you know if it ocs?

I don't think it is a good ocer.

Anyway, Asus wins over DFI in the following:
Better ocing for a noob, DFI is mainly for geeks to oc
It might give better performance at stock

DFI
Higher volatges can be used i think
More expensive that chepest good ocer of Asus

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
is there any prob with my bios??
shall i upgrade it?(hv never done it though)
??
any other users of the same mobo facin the same prob????????

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
evil_maverick said:
is there any prob with my bios??
shall i upgrade it?(hv never done it though)
??
any other users of the same mobo facin the same prob????????

NO harm in updating the BIOS.....only keep a backup of the old BIOS...If something goes boom :D..then u can always restore it....and flashing a BIOS is just a matter of seconds.....and I think u can update the BIOS from within windows Xp....via. MSI Live Update.....

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
asus has windows updating utility.

anyway a geek ocing and a geek in ocing is different. You know what I mean.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
but thats a risky job
whats his windows hangs in middle??

Well .. it aint' that buggy either ... the flashing process hardly takes a few seconds .. and there's the least chance that ur pc will produce any problem .. maybe 1 in a few hundred millions ... the old floppy days dare gone ...

Infact... newer bios'es are often be recovered from a crash

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
today increased the fsb to 240!!
but the funny thing is when i log into windows and rt clk on my computer->then go to properties it shows the same 2ghz!!
but i installed cpu-z and it showed 2.4 ghz core speed!!
but even in the boot up screen it shows 2ghz!!!!
aft increasibg the fsb the rams frequency has gone up to 240 too,
as per cpu-z!!
and can u plz explain what does 'htt' mean?
actually aft increasing the fsb the htt has gone to 240 too!!!
plz help and explain!!
plz!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom