how 2 control bandwith usage??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generic Superhero

Journeyman
ohhh... :cry: for some prob or other i 4got 2 chek my bsnl usage during the whole of october
2day i see it is 2.49 gb so i am 2 pay xtra for 1.49 gb... :(
i wonder how it happened :? may be due to using google earth a lot

anyway...
plz suggest me ways how i can save on bandwith.... i use adblok xtension in ff. other than that how 2 reduce bandwid xpenditure?

i keep my IMs running all the while whether chattin or not.. do they eat up bandwith?

hence forth i ll intall s/w frm digit dvd/cds only
shud i start using opera ( i used it b4) and surf wid cached images?

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Yup cached images is the way to go, works great for me.
Also adjust your cache settings from tools > pref > history
Also google earth is a total bandwidth killer - i used 1.3gb in 3 days :p
I am not sure how much bandwidth IM's take, though i expcet they will be constantly pinging.
Try using a data-transfer monitor or something next time.

OP
Generic Superhero

Generic Superhero

Journeyman
Please help me

thanx chess for ur reply
i am completely at a loss... when i saw the usage stats this evening on bsnl site my jaw fell!!

so now i know that it is only coz of google earth... i used it quite a lot----all those hi-res img-s must hav spent my bandwith

i request every1 to gimme more suggestions on how i can reduce bandwith usage

Deep

Version 2.0
Use onspeed try it for 7 days and see the effect..

I have tried it on my triband connection and it saves lot of bandwidth and loads pages much faster...

So if you like it then you can purchase it for Rs. 2100 a year

or you can even try google's web accelerator, I think it also works on same funda i.e. generating pages from cache...

Ragards,
Deep

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Yeah It does. All kind of multimedia take up more bandwidth. Though most are low resolution they don't take up such a big bandwidth but it sure does take a big chunk of bandwidth.

Charley

Just Do It
tech_your_future said:
Yeah It does. All kind of multimedia take up more bandwidth. Though most are low resolution they don't take up such a big bandwidth but it sure does take a big chunk of bandwidth.

When i watch yahoo cams the bandwidth is little ... I have to try wit the other cam sites to verify it.

Retro

Journeyman
I've faced this problem before and I tried my best to control it. Here are a few tips from me
1) Get some browser other than IE which offers you high control over what all you can block from the internet
2) Block Pop-UP Ads
3) Block Google Ads
4) Disable Images for your General Browsing and Enable them only for a few websites which you think are terribly important.
5) Keep a Track of what you download. Have an account of the major downloads you've made
6) Since you have 1 GB/month, divide it by 30, you get 33. Make sure your daily consumption is around 33 MB.
7) Continuosly check your BW usage, perhaps if you feel in the middle of the month that it has gone high and you find it;s 800 MB already, then reduce your usage for the rest of the month.
8) Important - Disable Flash Images 1000%, they use Bandwidth LIKE HEck.
9) Reduce Google Earth - If it is your buisness, okay but for a hobby if you wanna check out all kindsa places then get a better broadband
10) Use Google WebAccellarator or some tool which loads cached pages. Onspeed is paid BTW.

Don't think your cutting all in Life. Try this for a week and see how much you are using. If you feel, you can use more, then change. I'm talking about this in experience only. Once Upon a Time I had Iqara Connection and I successfully used 500 MB for 4 full month. :)

Hope this Helps you
Regards
Retro

busyanuj

In the zone
you can configure the Windows' hosts file to block ads. read more here

next, you can also use software such as DU Meter to monitor your daily internet bandwidth usage. It will allow you to use your bandwidth more efficiently.

OP
Generic Superhero

Generic Superhero

Journeyman
i installed fasterfox--an xtension of ff
shud i use this simulataneously with google web accelerator or any one of them??

in either fasterox or google web accelerator, i hav set the options to not prefetch any page assumin that it's a waste of bandwith. am i right?

like we get in opera, any way 2 use cached images in ff? or ll google web accelerator take care of that

selva1966

Journeyman
Deep said:
or you can even try google's web accelerator, I think it also works on same funda i.e. generating pages from cache...

But during test phase it works only in North America and Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom