Hot mobo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anindya

In the zone
Very recently i have upgraded my system. The probem is the mobo is getting very hot. I am using PC PROBE II to tell u all this. After booting or when doing not so proccy intensive work the temp. of the proccy and mobo is around 35-37C(CPU) and 42-44C(mobo). But when i am playing games the temp for cpu goes to 41-44C and mobo 55-58C:mad: . I tied all the cables inside the cabinet and the temp for mobo came down to 45-49C. The cabinet has 2 fans at the side and one at the back excluding the psu fan. Plz tell me whether these temps r ok or what need to be done?

Hey guys noone can help me? Atleast tell me whether the temps r ok or on the higher side. Am surprised to see no help.

Last edited:

xbonez

NP : Crysis
hmmm. ur cpu temps are quite normal. ur mobo temp was earlier definitely very high. it is still slightly on the highe side. try the followng:

1. redo the thermal paste on ur cpu. it might have got eroded. try using some good quality thermal paste such as arctic silver (it contains silver!). u'll get a single use pack for somewhere around rs.400. don't buy the cheap zinc oxide thermal pastes that sell for around rs20. they're not very effective and erode real fast.
2. put a 120mm intake fan at the front of ur cabby. it really helps
3. at the back of your cabby, put a 120mm exhaust fan
4. the fans at the side panel shuld be set to throw out air. make sure they're not pulling in air.
5. its possible that ur southbridge (second largest chip on the mobo) is exposed. t would be gud to put a heatsink on it. however, heat sinks are quite expensive. no use buying a new one. see if u can get some old and discarded mobo. use the heatsink from it

src2206

In the zone
Hi there

I have the same mobo as you and its temp is always shown to be around 48C. The PC Probe is not some thing very reliable or dependable in this case. I have also checked some other forums and discussion board about this. So i beleive there is nothing much to worry about.

I hardly beleive fan is a factor cause, I have I CPU fan, one back panel and one extra fan in my SMPS positioned to suck the CPU fan air and channel it out via the SMPS back fan. So I do not have any side fan, but the temp is always about 48-49C of the mobo and exactly as yours, all the other temps remain within normal range (rather quite within).

You can use CPU Fan to see your system temp, HDD thermometer to check you HDD temp...these tools are more reliable. :)

OP
Anindya

Anindya

In the zone
@ xbonez,
2. put a 120mm intake fan at the front of ur cabby. it really helps

I dont have the place for it.:mad:

3. at the back of your cabby, put a 120mm exhaust fan

I have a fan at the back but it is taking air in and when i tried to change the position to the other direction the blades r getting obstructed by the metal plate!

4. the fans at the side panel shuld be set to throw out air. make sure they're not pulling in air.

The side fans(2) r also taking air and that way i think its better coz when i changed their direction as i couldnt change the back fan the temps were that high.

Plz comment.

Last edited:

xbonez

hmm, ok, maybe the side fans can take in air. but, the rear fan must not pull in air (it's screwing up the air flow). its meant to throw out hot air.

ideally, if u culd put a fan in front, then there's cross ventilation in the cabby. the front fan pulls in and the rear fan throws out. that way air flows through the cabinet taking the heat along with it. but since u can't put a fan in the front, atleast reverse your rear fan. you can get a local 80mm fan for about rs30. they work either way

napster007

Padawan
ur arrangement of fans is creating a chaos in ur cabby therefore heating up the enviroinment. the guy "xbonez" is my friend follow what he tells you.he's a complete freak in cooling his cabby!!!

OP
Anindya

Anindya

In the zone
@ SRC2206 can u give me the links to the software?

@ Xbonez, when i tried to change the position to the other direction the blades r getting obstructed by the metal plate! What to do now? Should i then remove the back fan completely?

gannu_rox

In the zone
^^^ The back xhaust fan shud be kept in such a way dat the 4 plastic shrouds dat hold d fans outer body shud touch the cabby...

Jus feel the flow of air wen it runs na???

As simple as dat....

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
CPU at 37C means its very cool...

My C2D OC at 2.8 GHz runs idle at 48c and on load at 63c !!!

See with Core 2 Duo, unless u cross the Limit of 55c idle and 70c on load, u are fine, though i try to stay bellow 65c on load....

About the MOBO, run a test, open up the work side cabinet lid, and the see if the temp is coming down or not,

some time bad assembling can cause wires in side to get tangle and mess up to trap the hit in side them :p, so try to short out that problem if u see thats the case :p

OP
Anindya

Anindya

In the zone
i have already opened the cabinet and checked it. Infact its open now. Its the same thing. What worries me is when i play games it goes to around 55C. Is is ok? Upto what limit its ok?

xbonez

Anindya said:
@ Xbonez, when i tried to change the position to the other direction the blades r getting obstructed by the metal plate! What to do now? Should i then remove the back fan completely?

just get yourself new fans from the local comp bazaar. 80mm fans will cost u about rs.30 (lesser if u buy more than one). they can be put either way. seems like your present fan isn't reversible. generally, fans when attached to the cabby stay well away from the cabby, the plastic frame touches the cabby

src2206

In the zone
Hello Anindya

If you are still in trouble read on...

It should be normal if the motherboard temperature is within the range of 40~75 degree Celsius.

The motherboard temperature sensor has been placed within the memory VRM (power supply circuitry), which may be affected depending on the loading of your RAM.

Though the displayed temperature is higher than other motherboards, the relative temperature is not any higher. Your system should be OK if it is within this temperature range.

The above quote is from the ASUS website, the link is here: *support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?no=9C98229A-B85B-77C2-085C-70C6FAD6DD56&SLanguage=en-us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom