Hide files inside JPG!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackpearl

The Devil
I found an interesting tutorial. You can hide files inside an innocent looking JPG image. The secretly created image file will open in any image viewer just like a normal file but if you open it with winrar you will find the hidden files. Pretty neat trick.

*www.thetechtray.net/videos/rar/

tuxfan

Technomancer
This is called STEGANOGRAPHY. :) Have a look at *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganography for more information.

I have some software for this on a CD ;) Its pretty cool for sensitive information. But even terrorists are using this for their activities :(

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
ya... steganography became famous (or rather infamous) sometime back with terrorist activities... osama-type message passing methods.

But there are 2 catches..
1. It'll need u to install the steganophing software everytime u need to pack/unpack the file. Nothing like an auto.. or exe file.
2. The file size changed to sum of both the files. So supposing u r putting a 1mb word file in a 50kb jpg file, the new jpg'll be greater than 1mb in size. Those with sharp eyes (or attention to detail) 'll definitely catch the difference as a 50kb jpg'll be small in viewing size and low in quality, but a real 1mb jpg'll be huge and of extremely good quality.

Also to be noted, Steganography is not done only on jpgs, u can put any file format in another file format using it. So an "innocent-looking" cartoon clip can have "bigger-rating" material!!!
Technology changes the face of civilization... a baby can be a babe!!!:lol:

tuxfan

Technomancer
koolbluez said:
But there are 2 catches..
1. It'll need u to install the steganophing software everytime u need to pack/unpack the file. Nothing like an auto.. or exe file.
Keeping an auto or exe kind of file will simply kill its purpose!! Anyone will execute it and know something is hidden there. Of course, he may not be able to see what without a password

koolbluez said:
2. The file size changed to sum of both the files. So supposing u r putting a 1mb word file in a 50kb jpg file, the new jpg'll be greater than 1mb in size. Those with sharp eyes (or attention to detail) 'll definitely catch the difference as a 50kb jpg'll be small in viewing size and low in quality, but a real 1mb jpg'll be huge and of extremely good quality.
Quite true. But a person will have to have a real eye for the details and be at least a little tech-savvy to think about this. So if we are hiding things from government ;) things are pretty safe even if 1 GB file is hidden in 1 MB file :lol:

Abhishek Dwivedi

TechFreakiez.com
u can also use video or a audio file ...it give u more space..let me explain.....

hey do say wow....:)

well in this trick we use a JPEG file....lets take the reo. be 1024X768....that means it has 1024X768 pixels in it...now 1 pixel has 3 colour....red,green&blue.....that means 1 pixel is equal to 3 bits....now if we remove one colour from few of the pixels....randon colours....we get some space...and this space is used for hidding text....now a days new techniques r been used but the one i told was the first and the most strongest....he he he he...u can even hide pic in them.....:))......i read it in a book in my schools lib........

rup

Broken In
guys... u can simply hide ur secret document sp any dat or mpeg file by changing the extension... then the icon wd b changed for example: u want to change a dat file into doc.. it will seem as word file or notepad file.. if any1 try to open this then the dat will open in doc format that is the raw from ....for this u just hv to go the folder option>view> then uncheck the hide file extensions for known file type...then just apply n ok... then just change the extension like> movie.dat into> movie.doc....after that in the same way u hv to tick mark the "hide file extensions... isn't it simple....................................................

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
@ rup

ur method is simple but most of the members know it. Anyways, keep posting coz u know something which others don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom