Hidden Painting in a Vincent Van Gogh Painting

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow2get

In the zone
Chicago (IL) – European scientists have discovered a hidden painting behind Vincent Van Gogh’s 1887 Patch of Grass painting. Using synchrotron radiation induced X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy, a portrait of a mystery woman appeared.

*www.tgdaily.com/images/stories/article_images/research/vangogh_lg.jpg
Many artists are believed to actually have painted over their original paintings and if the technology revealed can be generally applied to art without damaging it, then we could soon get much more insight in the history of art and the lives of artists.

A research team including members from Delft University of Technology in The Netherlands and the University of Antwerp in Belgium claims to have successfully applied synchrotron radiation induced X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy for the first time to the painting entitled Patch of Grass by Vincent van Gogh. And what they found is simply stunning: A so far unknown portrait of an unknown woman.

The hidden painting was revealed an X-ray bundle from a synchrotron radiation source, which enabled the scientists to measure the fluorescence of the layers of paint. According to the researchers, the measured fluorescence is specific to each chemical element, which means that each type of atom and individual paint pigments can be charted individually.

Previous research, which included the use of conventional X-ray radiography, led scientists to believe that Patch of Grass hides an earlier painting beneath. The technique apparently revealed vague outlines and the area of the painting, but the scientists did not know what it was. Over the course of two days, the area covering the image of a woman’s head was scanned, measuring about 6.9” x 6.9”. The result is impressive, especially if we consider that not only was the outline of the earlier painting discovered, but a detailed printing in full color.

It is generally believed that about one third of Van Gogh’s paintings hide earlier paintings. The scientists said that they intend to use the technique to scan more pictures in the future.
Source

swordfish

Somebody stop me...
hey I have seen the real painting.. next time i will try to see if i can find some thing with my xray vision ;)

OT: Van Gogh went crazy in the last time of his life and then he started making such strange paitings

Last edited:

fun2sh

Pawned!... Beyond GODLIKE
he was really a crazy painter and how did he THINK that some wil try to find wats hidden inside his painting and HOW DID THESE CRAZY SCIENTIST THINK THATS SOMETHING IS HIDDEN INSIDE HIS PAINTING :shocked: every1 is crazy :mrgreen:

karmanya

Journeyman
fun2sh, ure getting it wrong, Vincent didn't hide things in his paintings- he just painted over old canvasses. Read his biographies or watch BBC's imagination series. tells u alot about different artists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom