Hidden folders not visible

Status
Not open for further replies.

bukaida

In the zone
I cannot view the hidden folders in my system even after un-hiding them from tool->folder option-->view-->show hidden files and folders.After clicking ok, the system again goes to donot show hidden files and folders.The folders are visible if I go through the advanced option of windows search ie I have to remember the name of it. Is it due to any virus? At present I am using Kaspersky Internet Security and it reports that the system is virus free.How to get around this problem?I am using XP with SP2.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
I cannot view the hidden folders in my system even after un-hiding them from tool->folder option-->view-->show hidden files and folders.After clicking ok, the system again goes to donot show hidden files and folders.The folders are visible if I go through the advanced option of windows search ie I have to remember the name of it. Is it due to any virus? At present I am using Kaspersky Internet Security and it reports that the system is virus free.How to get around this problem?I am using XP with SP2.

Open Registry Editor from Start Menu by typing regedit in the 'Run' box. Go to the following : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Create REG_DWORD named 'Hidden' (without quotes) or modify it's value it is already created. Set it's value to 1 to show the hidden files or to 2 for hiding the hidden files in Window Explorer.

OP
bukaida

bukaida

In the zone
@debsuvra -- the registry editor is disabled i.e a messege is coming that the administrator
has disabled it but it is a standalone system and I am in administrative mode.Hence the existing solution doesnot work.

@Vishal Gupta-- As a veteran member of Digit forum, I have gone through the existing solutions provided before posting this, but that didnot solve my problem.I am well aware of the forum rules.Problems with similar headings neednot have the same solution for all the cases.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
U are the system administrator and still u are getting a message that administrator has disabled the Registry Editor ? Maybe it was disabled accidentally from Regedit. In that case, use the following method :

1. Go to Run. Type 'gpedit.msc' and press Enter.

2. Go to User Configuration\Admin Templates\System\Prevent Access To registry Editing Tools. Change the value from 'Not Configured' to 'Disabled'. Regedit should work now.

If it does not work, it might be a trojan attack. A trojan named W32.Rontokbro@mm is reportedly doing this in affected PCs. To remove it follow the instructions in the following page : *www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2005-092311-2608-99&tabid=3

afonofa

Journeyman
Check KIS logs to see if any virus was detected and cleaned. That way you'll know if it was a virus which caused the problem.

Start > Run > cmd > enter the following:

Code:
reg delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableRegistryTools /f

Now you should be able to access the registry with regedit and make whatever changes necessary to solve the hidden folders problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom