Hibernation Issues!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andyiz

Journeyman
Dear Friends,
I have been hibernating my PC for quite a while now
Recently i heard comments that doing so affects the overall performance of the PC.
How True is that??????

rajas700

Youngling
Ya hibernating suck's ur RAM.Because all the thing were stored in RAM when u hibernating .so dont do it offten....

Netjunkie

In the zone
Well, that is only a myth. Infact hibernation is recommended for Laptops. You can safely continue using it.

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
this is the 2nd time i'm seeing that comment !!
Hibernation doesnt store data in RAM ... who told you so ?
It stores the data in a file called hiberfil.sys on the harddisk

-----
alibi

ishaan

Padawan
its really good doesnt do anything...if it harmed ur system dya think microsoft will put it as a normal option and take the risk of getting sued..

but once in a while, you should shutdown cuz it kinda 'refreshes' ur pc...like after u install lotsa stuff n all, jus shutdown or restart

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
I agree with alibi and ishaan. Actually while hibernating ur PC, the system stores whatever data is there in RAM to a file hiberfil.sys, that's why size of this file is exactly equal to the RAM in ur PC. During shutdown, the OS "SAVES" everything, i mean the settings and changes u made in the system. So once a while u shud use shutdown also. A word of caution(my experience)....once i hibernated my system and took my HDD to a friend and copied a couple of movies. When i switched back, i cudn't find those movies. It occurred bcoz system tries to get into original(previous) state after hibernation. Please correct me if I am wrong on this. Otherwise, hibernation is cool option...

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I usually logout windows and then hibernate my pc, so >> no programs are running > less RAM content stored > :) my pc works just perfect with that :)

Ok now, i have a problem with my pc. When ever i switch on my pc and do nothing, the system automatically gets hibernated. I have enabled hybernation in power settings but system hibernate is set to "never" in the power schemes.. What may be the porblem ???? :(

Charan

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
rajas700 said:
Ya hibernating suck's ur RAM.Because all the thing were stored in RAM when u hibernating .so dont do it offten....

What the hell do you mean?? Do you know anything about hibernation??

No, hibernation does not affect the computer performance..... It is not necessary to Shutdown or Restart until some of your programs request you to (Eg. after installing or upgrading some programs)...........

This will make the computer faster to start..........

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
gagan007 said:
I agree with alibi and ishaan. Actually while hibernating ur PC, the system stores whatever data is there in RAM to a file hiberfil.sys, that's why size of this file is exactly equal to the RAM in ur PC. During shutdown, the OS "SAVES" everything, i mean the settings and changes u made in the system. So once a while u shud use shutdown also. A word of caution(my experience)....once i hibernated my system and took my HDD to a friend and copied a couple of movies. When i switched back, i cudn't find those movies. It occurred bcoz system tries to get into original(previous) state after hibernation. Please correct me if I am wrong on this. Otherwise, hibernation is cool option...

Yes this has happened to me too...... If you copied some files to HDD from another OS and if you realize that the the computer was hibernated, you can cancel resuming Windows and choose Delete Restoration and perform System Restart.......... You may also install a file recovery application such as PCI File Recovery and look into the drive............

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
Thnx every1 for correctin rajas700. i was shocked to read his reply as i vrey rarely shutdown my pc. i like hibernating. usually i shutdown when i'm installing any s/w

hop hibernmating isnt harmful

choudang

Padawan
HIbernation is not harmful. i go for it usually. when i installed something.. i do a restart and goes on... but hibernation required 239MB of space...

The Incredible

Ambassador of Buzz
vijay_7287 said:
let me make it clear

"HIBERNATION NO PROBLEM"
"NO FURTHER DISCUSSION ON THIS PLEASE"

sainikpuri ke sarkar, kan u tel me why not any mor discussion on tis??? cant any1 ask here how to hibernate if he/she dunno. is it not allowed mods. am i wrong?????

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
hey Mr Incredible

i am sorry , in fact u got me wrong

want was no further querin on whether hibernation is good or bad

everythin else if fine !!!

sorry if someone's hurt !!!

and by the u can enable hibernation by,
right click,
properties
screensaver
power options
hibernate
enable hibernation
!!!!!!!!!!

hope this clears the AIR !!!

casanova

The Frozen Nova
At times i face a problem after resuming from hibernation. It shows "Out of frequency" But this error is from my monitor and not winXP. I have a LG 15" monitor. And when it shows out of frequency, it starts a count down from 30 (or 20) seconds. If i hit escape key, i can resume and if i dont hit escape, i have to make a hard reboot.

nirubhai

Broken In
well... hibernation may be good. but when i use standby feature and resume, the mouse scroll does not work in some windows. especially in VB6 IDE. and i have to restart.
so just to be curious, can anybody tell me if they experience any such problems after hibernation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom