Status
Not open for further replies.

pritish_kul2

★★★★★★★★★
Can anybbody tell me what hibernate exactly is? Does the computer consume power and if i have some download going on and i hibernate, will those keep running? THANKS IN ADVANCE

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
Hibernation is the feature of an Operating System to save the current system state into a non volatile memory (usually HDD), switches off, and then restore the session to ram on a later time.

The system will be in power off mode while in hibernation. So no process will run at that time.

for more info *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernate_(OS_feature)

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
In simpler terms,
When you hibernate a system, the OS will save all the Data in your Ram and Virtual memory into a file and power the PC off.
Now when you power on your PC next time, The data will be again written to the Ram and Virtual Memory and you will find the PC in the same state as before, ie. before you hibernated it.

It is extremely useful when you are playing a game which does not feature Manual Saving at any point of time, or a racing game where you are in between a race, You can simply Hibernate the system and carry on with your game when you come back later, which can even be after months!!

Microsoft -
Hibernate saves an image of your desktop with all open files and documents, and then it powers down your computer. When you turn on power, your files and documents are open on your desktop exactly as you left them.

These links will explain it to you in detail -

*www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/tabletpc/getstarted/standby.mspx

*www.theeldergeek.com/HT0_007.htm

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Ron said:
hey...
Too much hibernate can spoil ur Ram...So be careful!!!!

I was not aware of this fact? Can you explain how is that possible? How does it affect the RAM. Sources please.

shantanu

Technomancer
RAM cannot be harmed by hibernation as the data is not stored on it ,, its the PF which is used and by the way Its the same usage as your system does for running your PC SO DONT RUN YOUR PC AS YOUR RAM MAY GET SPOILED... thats not true.....

sURELY ... PROVED FACT BY Microsoft Developer and Management team

Ron

||uLtiMaTE WinNER||
Hey...
i dont know whether Ram gets spoiled or any part of ur PC.....
but Hibernating too much slows down ur PC.......
I will try to giv u the info.........................

jal_desai

In the zone
keep one strategy::: do hibernate ur pc for the day time u leave ur pc.... remember to shut down when u last use it at night... next day.. boot up and for the whole day keep hibernating it... but shut it down at night.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
jal_desai said:
keep one strategy::: do hibernate ur pc for the day time u leave ur pc.... remember to shut down when u last use it at night... next day.. boot up and for the whole day keep hibernating it... but shut it down at night.

Not necessary, what benefit would it serve. Hibernation helps you boot up faster. There are many people who do not shut down the PC at all, Just hibernate and Restarts, well quite a few techies do it, the geeky ones. Shut Down just slows down the next reboot, when Hibernate can serve the purpose.

spyder

Broken In
Well if u play games then don't hibernate.
When u resume after hibernation the sound won't work in atleast 30% of the games............

Tech Geek

Wise Old Owl
the bad part is if you have a 1GB ram and less hard disk space
it consumes a lot of space
which is off waste

better use standby mode

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Standby mode is not a safe option. If you turn off the power or their is any voltage problem, you will loose your unsaved work. Now a days generally people do have a lot of disk space. And i dont think a person who has 1GB RAM wouldn have a small hard disk :)

Last edited:

shantanu

Technomancer
Its a myth that Hibernation slows down your pc ^^^^ as said above if you do it in day time and shutdown your pc at night or when you dont have a long period work... you can save your documented work or something in hibernation.... OUR PC IS MADE TO SERVE US AND EVERY FUNCTION IS FOR USE SO HIBERNATION IS NOT BAD ,, YOU CAN STANDBY TOO ,, BUT I RECOMMEND WHY NOT TO SHUTDOWN IF NO NEED FOR HIBERNATION OR STANDBY>>> AS I MYSELF NEVER USE BOTH ... i always shutdown coz my pc starts in 4 sec. less then hibernation... DEPENDING ON YOUR SYSTEM SPECS.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
sometimes the RAM is consumed fully (or 90%) & makes the system sluggish , even if you kill some background processes, you get only upto 50-60% RAM, to gain RAM or keep your system fast, Restart is the only option. Hibernating @ this stage will not at all help (u know why).

So i shut-down the PC every night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom