Help with L2

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

ms dos

hi,
How to enable\Disable L2 cache in AMD64 processors?
IS is harmful?What are the recommendations...
I have a 3000+ (754) with 512 MB L2...how to enable it>?

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
why would anyone want to disable L2 cache?
it is there to keep data frequently required by the procesor and is extremely fast(in some cases as fast as the processor itself)
As it would take much much longer for data to be fetched from the RAM of the system. It is just anologus to asking should i remove all of the RAM of my computer. Because RAM is for the same reason,it provides faster access to frequently required data, and if u were to disable the RAM then all data wouldhave to be fetched from the HDD and would cripple the system is terms of speed.

here are a few links:
What is L2
*www.cyberwalker.net/columns/dec99/091299.html
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L2_cache

Disable L2 Cache:
Check in the biso to see if u have the following options

CPU Level 1 Cache

Options : Enabled, Disabled

This BIOS setting can be used to enable or disable the CPU's L1 (primary) cache. Naturally, the default setting is Enabled.

This feature is useful for overclockers who want to pinpoint the cause of their unsuccessful overclocking. I.e. if a CPU cannot reach 500MHz with the L1 cache enabled and vice versa; then the L1 cache is what's stopping the CPU from reaching 500MHz stably.

However, disabling the L1 cache in order to increase the overclockability of the CPU is a very bad idea, especially in highly pipelined designs like Intel's P6 family of processors (Pentium Pro, Celeron, Pentium II, Pentium !!!).

CPU Level 2 Cache

Options : Enabled, Disabled

This BIOS setting can be used to enable or disable the CPU's L2 (secondary) cache. Naturally, the default setting is Enabled.

This feature is useful for overclockers who want to pinpoint the cause of their unsuccessful overclocking. I.e. if a CPU cannot reach 500MHz with the L2 cache enabled and vice versa; then the L2 cache is what's stopping the CPU from reaching 500MHz stably.

Users may choose to disable L2 cache in order to overclock higher but the trade-off isn't really worth it.

MegaD3th3K

Broken In
ms dos said:
I have a 3000+ (754) with 512 MB L2...
im pretty sure you mean 512 KB
if it is indeed 512 MB, then tht must be some kind of futuristic (Y3K) cpu! :D
and btw, DO NOT disable it.

pop143

Journeyman
cud u suggest a website , where i can learn about these processor archtecture and other realted things with it..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom