1. Hey Guest Did you know you can win an Honor 10 phone worth ₹33,000 and an additional ₹70,000 in paytm vouchers, just by replying to some threads and taking part in the discussions happening in the Honor Hub?

What are you waiting for? Start commenting and start winning! Remember to read the instructions posted here.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Windows XP Professional SP2 Crashing!

Discussion in 'Software Q&A' started by SouvikSinha, Dec 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouvikSinha

SouvikSinha New Member

I have Windows XP Professional SP2 installed. The problem is, whenever I want to move or copy or delete a file(s) by pressing Ctrl+X or Ctrl+C or Del key or by right-clicking on it, my Explorer hangs. I can see that drwtsn32.exe starts in the background and after a few minutes I see a message "DrWatson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to be closed" and my Explorer also crashes. I can only move or delete files using DOS command prompt. Any help to solve this problem will be greatly appreciated. By the way, I have Norton AntiVirus 2004 Professional with latest update and ZoneAlarm Pro installed in my PC. I also tried "sfc /scannow" in vain.

2. alib_i

alib_i New Member

do you have Dr.Divx installed in your system ??

if yes .. then look at this link
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=89&threadID=161335&messageID=1672444

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32 
    1. Open up regedit
    2. Goto HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAs
    sociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler
    3. Delete the "Default" value which should be "{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}" 

it removes the 'encode using dr.divx' option from right-click menu ..
    this shud solve the problem ..

-----
    alibi

3. saROMan

saROMan QA Juggler

well i have exactly..the same Problem....even i have posted my Problem B4...after closing some app 1st it gives..error mgs then Dr Watson msg...and i dont have DIVx installed.......so what sud i do???plz help

4. alib_i

alib_i New Member

5. OP
    OP
    SouvikSinha

SouvikSinha New Member

Thank you very much alibi. You correctly identified the problem in your first response! I have Dr.DivX installed and after removing the AVI shell handler from Regedit, the problem is solved! Thank you once again for your assistance. Have a nice day.

6. alib_i

alib_i New Member

a very nice day to you too souvik :)

-----
    alibi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.