Help Switching from WINDOWS to LINUX!

Status
Not open for further replies.

suhas_sm

Journeyman
Guys i wish to switch from Windows to Linux.

Pls help me out with it.

1. Which flavour of the Linux will be best for a amatuer ?

I m well versed with all the windows OSs. Also i am aware of the unix OS.
I have used Knoppix for quite some time now and i m impressed with it.
AFAIK red hat is good right ? but is it suitable for windows user with programming back ground to switch over ?

2. Which portal will help me the most from base to extent in getting along with Linux.

praka123

left this forum longback
i sthink Mandriva+kde is suitable if ur pure amature and having a habit of comparing each n everything with windows...But u said u knows UNIX...so Debian based like Ubuntu also will be good and GNOME...also have all packages for a programmer bundled..!

theraven

Technomancer
if digen were here he'd start with how good red hat is :)
bat n me would tell u suse
major would probably say gentoo
and andy will recommend ubuntu !

im just concisin everyones diff opinions for u
in the end u just have to try it urself and decide which flavour suits ur pallete

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
I second the one above. Many will came up with many suggestions. I recommend you to try some, and settle with one you find most confortable with.

I personally will recommend you FC4.

Ravi+ish

Journeyman
I think for an amateur ... Suse is good.
for an allround starter.. red hat is good...
and if you want... everything... FC4! even FC5 is available for try!!!

I must tell you.... every piece of Linux is very simple to use these days... so don't be afraid to start with anyone!!!

OP
S

suhas_sm

Journeyman
con_tester said:
First try any live Distro

I suggest knoppix 4.0.....

I have used Live Knoppix thats is wat is promting me too switch from WINDOWS. KNoppix ROcks :D

Hmmm so many operating flavous :? if i keep trying out stuffs half of my time will go in installing n formatting :cry: time is precious ;) but no other options it seems.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
One more vote for Ubuntu from me 2. I installed Ubuntu yesterday night. It was as easy as installing windows if not easier. Installation was a breeze. I finished the installation in approx. 30 mins.Only place to look out for is hard disk partitioning. I think by default it uses full hard disk. You just have to use advanced partitioning option and and select the partition you want. I also feel OpenSUSe 10.0 is worth a try too if you want comparatively more software in the cd(s).

praka123

left this forum longback
Also Ubuntu breezy is of few distros which supprts SMART for SCSI/SATA devices with the default kernels which contains the patch..also u can use 'hddtemp' to get hdd temprture. :D
something like below u need to try..also
Code:
 apt-get install hddtemp

Code:
 smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sda
:D

Satissh S

Youngling
@ Praveen:
Me 4!! Ubuntu has even got recognition from IBM that it's ready for the enterprise.
BTW,
Fedora Core 4 + Fedora Core 4 FAQ + DataOne = Smooth Transition From Windows to Linux!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom