Help Running My PEN DRIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

sr_garg

Broken In
hi

I'd a Transcend V30 1 GB pen drive but whenever I tried to copy some data on it it says Cannot copy data because the path is too deep to copy...!!" (while copying the data) so i thought its a corrupted pen drive but i tried it on some other PCs n it worked ok but at a very slow speed.

So yesterday I purchased a New 2GB Pen Drive Sandisk Cruzer Micro U3. Now it is also showing me that it "Cannot copy data because the path is too deep to copy...!!" (while copying the data)

please tell me what should i do now? :confused: :confused: :confused: what can be the problem. i use my bluetooth dongle in the same port n its work fine n i also once formatted my pc thinking the problem may get over by this...

my pc config as follows - P4 1.7 GHz, 128 DDR Ram, Asus 845G motherboard

looking forward 4 your reply friends

thank you

Saurav

mikeon

ThE oNE & ONlY ??
you must be copying a folder which contains many folders within each other or the folder names or file names of the files within the folder are too long... try to shorten then and see...

Sankalp

Journeyman
r u tryin with a particular folder? If so then try copyin a particular file like a music file to test and post ur result

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
also , do check ur drive by rt. clicking the drive icon->properties->tools->error checking, then select both checking options and tell me if ur problem solved or not .
also try scanning ur pen drive with an updated AV.

OP
S

sr_garg

Broken In
Sankalp said:
r u tryin with a particular folder? If so then try copyin a particular file like a music file to test and post ur result

no i'm not trying with particular folder..... i tried copyin each n every different file which is in working condition..... i tried to copy same file in same pen drive from different pc n its working fine there........

amitava82

MMO Addict
R u sure u r not joking??? I've never seen such weird msg in my entire 7 years computing life... "Cannot copy data because the path is too deep to copy...!!"

OP
S

sr_garg

Broken In
amitava82 said:
R u sure u r not joking??? I've never seen such weird msg in my entire 7 years computing life... "Cannot copy data because the path is too deep to copy...!!"

here the answer for u..... hope this pic clarify u... n rather than laughin u may offer some advice...

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
The problem could be due to many reasons.
Try these:
1. Remove all other USB devices connected to the computer and connect the pendrive to the back USB ports of the Motherboard, not the front ones.

2. Try checking your hard drive for problems. Do a checkdisk upto level 5.

3. Zip all your files in the pendrive to a single file and try copying it.

4. Copy in Safe mode.

5. If the length of the total path of tthe file is greater than 255 characters, this error can happen. But this isn't your case.

6. Last option, boot in to Linux if you have it installed and then copy.

amitava82

MMO Addict
Ok after googling i found that this is a problem with Windows XP SP2. But if you plug your pendrive to USB port at the back of CPU i.e., those are mounted directly to the motherboard, it works fine. just try it n let us know.

OP
S

sr_garg

Broken In
amitava82 said:
Ok after googling i found that this is a problem with Windows XP SP2. But if you plug your pendrive to USB port at the back of CPU i.e., those are mounted directly to the motherboard, it works fine. just try it n let us know.

yes brother u r right... its now working fine as i plug it to USB port at the back of CPU... its working absolutely fine...

but y its not working with usb extention cable..... ???

thanks alottttttttt frnd.....

Lucky_star said:
The problem could be due to many reasons.
Try these:
1. Remove all other USB devices connected to the computer and connect the pendrive to the back USB ports of the Motherboard, not the front ones.

2. Try checking your hard drive for problems. Do a checkdisk upto level 5.

3. Zip all your files in the pendrive to a single file and try copying it.

4. Copy in Safe mode.

5. If the length of the total path of tthe file is greater than 255 characters, this error can happen. But this isn't your case.

6. Last option, boot in to Linux if you have it installed and then copy.

thanks alot to u too brother for ur advice...
thankss to everyone......:p

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
sr_garg said:
but y its not working with usb extention cable..... ???

I guess you copy of XP doesnt like extension cable because it has to send data too far :p , and XP know there is another USB port near mobo and it can transfer data quickly. so insted of xp saying "hey the pendrive is too far for me to transfer the files, put it some where near to me like.. into the back of the mobo then I will transfer" it says "Cannot copy data because the path is too deep to copy...!!" :twisted:

:|

Edit: Honestly guys I did search for this error , but came across another funny error code . Check error code number 1381.I will not tell what the error message is. if you want to see the description of that error number the goto a command prompt and type in "net helpmsg 1381" and see the result.

TIP: Infact "net helpmsg N" (where N is a error number) can be used to see description of any error number. I dont know if it works in win2k/XP home.

thanks

Last edited:

sivarap

In the zone
Nice find Charan.... I did google on that weird error message.... Am sure u did too...waiting for more posts

OP
S

sr_garg

Broken In
charangk said:
I guess you copy of XP doesnt like extension cable because it has to send data too far :p , and XP know there is another USB port near mobo and it can transfer data quickly. so insted of xp saying "hey the pendrive is too far for me to transfer the files, put it some where near to me like.. into the back of the mobo then I will transfer" it says "Cannot copy data because the path is too deep to copy...!!" :twisted:

:|

Edit: Honestly guys I did search for this error , but came across another funny error code . Check error code number 1381.I will not tell what the error message is. if you want to see the description of that error number the goto a command prompt and type in "net helpmsg 1381" and see the result.

TIP: Infact "net helpmsg N" (where N is a error number) can be used to see description of any error number. I dont know if it works in win2k/XP home.

thanks

the error is real funny......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom