Help Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

AssmbLLYCoder

Right off the assembly line
Well First of all I would like to tell about my self. I am an electronics engineering garduate and presently working. Also I do a bit of Assembly coding casually these days. Earlier I was working on VB and I am into System administration in windows from last 18 months or so but i am new to linux. Few months back I got the Anniversary issue of Digit that has got a linux DVD with four distros. I wanted to try each of them. I got Knoppix running successfully. Now I want to install one of those distros on my hdd. They are namely Redhat 9.0, Knoppix,Manderake (I don't remeber the version probably 7 or 8 or 9) and one more i think Suse. I have got the iso images on the dvd that i copied to my new 80Gig HDD. Earlier there was an article on digit's portal that guided on how to install from those ISO images but it has been moved now i believe. So if any body can guide me I would be helpful to him. and any suggestions regarding customizing the Distro for a great multimedia experience (@ present i m using a old machine Celron 800 320 MB RAM and onboard VGA with Graphics window size of 32MB :) ) are welcome. Also thanks in advance for any kind of help.

One thing more i would like to know that can i do assembly coding in linux as well or do i need some special software to do that.

Regards,
Assmbly Coder

ujjwal

Padawan
The guide still exists, you can check this for info.

But yes, the distributions provided in that DVD are a bit old, and newer releases are out that have better features and are easier to use. You can even get a distribution Ubuntu shipped to you for free.

ujjwal

Padawan
^ If by any chance he is using windows XP, he can use a bootable DOS floppy for the purpose. And also even if the distribution does not provide readymade dosutils, you can still perform a hard disk based installation from the iso file, check this.

OP
A

AssmbLLYCoder

Thanks for the link and QWERTY you can use the DEBUG command in a command interpreter to do assmbly coding in winXP. it opens a seprate memory space for the routines you would be writing. or You can use a micro-processor simulator to do that as well ( I personaly sometimes use 8085 simulator ) or there is TASM as a standard part of Turbo C 3.0 Compiler ( complete only not the one you get from vendor) or you can download the Borland 5.1 command line utilis that also include a Assembler.

OP
A

AssmbLLYCoder

Ujjwal can you give me link for the UNbuntu distro so that i can get it shipped to myself. and I would also like to know the answer of my second question regarding assmbly language programming.

ujjwal

Padawan
This is the link to get Ubuntu CD's shipped to you -

*shipit.ubuntulinux.org/

May take a while though ...

And as for assembly coding, you should not be needing any special software, but make sure to install the development packages of your distro, such that the GNU Compiler Collection is installed. I really do not have much knowledge of assembly programming as yet, so I would have no idea how to proceed from there :)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Thanks for the link and QWERTY

That link wasnt mine, but ujjwal - the brainiac 's Give the credit to the person who desrerves it buddie...

Also, FreeBSD is a good UNIX type OS , plz try that out buddie...

OP
A

AssmbLLYCoder

Thanks was meant fo Ujjwal itself and I was addressing you by typing your name in Caps but i believe a typo of comma " , " made you think that the compliment is for you. Anyways I will try out FreeBSD as well. Does FreeBSD ship as well oe would i have to download it. any FTP links would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom