Help - Reinstallin XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

talrejaharish

Journeyman
hey

this is a result of the fact that my problem cud not be solved at the forums !! :(

one of the rarest of threads !!! :cry:

now the thing is tat i need to reinstall my XP

and i have Win XP cd with SP 1 only

and I have SP 2 ka org MS cd (wich i got for free)

so now ... can anyone tel me wether i shud reinstall windows after format or jus reinstall windows ...

i used to do that for 98SE to solve most of the probs ... tats y ...

i have only one OS on my system ...

so kindly guide me for the same !!

OP
T

talrejaharish

Journeyman
i had given reference to the following link

plz hav a look n tell me if u can solve the prob ... or them atleast help with the above thing !!!

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8817

thnx

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Hummm....98Se was a easy install...but considering the size of Windows Xp it will be highly recommended that u go in for a clean install and load all the necessary service packs and if possible try to create a Symantec Ghost Image as it will help ya when u have some problems with ur os just load the Symantec image and it will be restored as normal. :D

theraven

Technomancer
yeah clean install unless u want to keep ur current data ....
then do an overwrite install
i had to do that ... had a few bugs in my xp only thing it created new users ....
i wish somehow it would've used the older ones :(
well the names are same anyways so its cool

OP
T

talrejaharish

Journeyman
try to create a Symantec Ghost Image as it will help ya when u have some problems with ur os just load the Symantec image and it will be restored as normal.

can u tell me sumthin more bout Ghost Image ???

yeah clean install unless u want to keep ur current data ....
then do an overwrite install
i had to do that ... had a few bugs in my xp only thing it created new users ....

see the thing is tat i dont hav any other data on my C drive besides the Program Files and Windows Folder and Documents and settings folder.

all my other data (documents,images,songs,etc.) are on the other drives !!

so what data are u refering to ??? coz i wud like to keep the same programs installed rather than reinstalin all of them !!

but will reinstallin after format mak a noticable diference ???

also , my C drive is 20 GB and windows till now used only around 6-7 GB includin Program files...

so if i format .. can i split the drive in two of 10GB each and then install XP on one and Linux on one ???

theraven

Technomancer
i use only one partition
plus program files folder and u know programs and settings
thats what i meant
anyways doesnt matter ...
do a clean install .... it'll be noticably faster ... for a couple of days ;)
then u just gotta maintain it by using the right tools
as for splitting ... yeah ull just have to completely repartition everything ... hence u might loose all data on the hdd .. not just the partition
or ofcourse after installin windows u can use partition magic or similar software and create another partition and install linux
i suggest the latter .. it'll be easier

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
- whats ur hdd manufacturer ?? they have disk managers in their site which u can d/l and make a bootable floppy disk from ur friends computer
- it repartitions the drive and format is faster . u can also backup ur mbr , in case u end up with problems when installing linux later .
- since u have 20 , go for

Win98 - 2gb
Winxp - 5gb
Data - 5gb ( ur e drive in this case for mp3 movies etc )
Linux 8 gb

having win98 fat32 , koz most viruses seem to attack winxp at the moment and hard to clean viruses for xp . u can use 98 to connect the net and xp for other things
pclinux 04 takes around 5 gb for full installation . this way u can also have two or more linux flavours just to try it later . since ur planning on linux too , u can boot into linux from dos in win98 too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom