Help! Recurring bad sectors in both my HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

orc

n00b
Help me guys,
I have 2 160GB Seagate SATA disks of one which is SATA II. Its been an year since I bought them. I have never been able to use both the disks at the same time. Reason being the disk develops bad sectors within months. Then I backup to the other disk and after the replacement arrives almost magically the other one starts getting bad sectors. I have no idea what the problem might be.

I dont move the case much nor is it exposed to any vibrations. My umax power can run my ati 1950 pro without any problems. So I guess its not the power supply also. I suspect my intel 915 GAV mothboard now. Is there any issues with that motherboard sata controllers? or perhaps any limitations on the hdd size it can handle? Or is it just seagate and should I go for something like Western Digital?

I am so fed up of this now, I will be happy even with a 60Gb hdd that dosent give me any problem.

Edit: Just as I finished posting this, I started hearing clicking noise in the hdd that was working fine,the system hung for a minute and window crashed. As usual I ran the surface scan... and it reported bad sectors. Thats the disk I had RMAed 3 months back:confused:

Last edited:
OP
orc

orc

n00b
sashijoseph said:
hey look here if it helps: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63018
Oops! sorry for the double post and thanks for the link.

Acutally, we did have an earthing fault in our home that we discovered recently and got it fixed. So maybe that was the culprit. But then is it possible that a disk fails many days after the earthing is fixed?
Anyway now that I have found it out I will get a replacement and see. Hopefully I should not face the same problem again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom