Status
Not open for further replies.

anandshan

Right off the assembly line
I got a linux redhat 9 tailored by one of the tech-magazines.
The Installation was slow and the Os also seems to be slow.
Where can I get the original Redhat 9 in chennai.
Also how to end programs running in background in Linux.
REPLY:m_s_anandshan@yahoo.com

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
anandshan said:
I got a linux redhat 9 tailored by one of the tech-magazines.
Which magazine? Is it PCQ Linux ?
anandshan said:
The Installation was slow and the Os also seems to be slow.
Installations are always slow as extraction of packages from CD-ROM takes a lot time. But it depends on you configuration also. Slow OS can be attributed on lots of daemons running on ur system. Try disabling some daemons that run unnecessarily (like apache, sendmail... actually all of them except GDM / KDM / XDM)
anandshan said:
Where can I get the original Redhat 9 in chennai.
Check up with firewall. He has posted a thread in this section itself.
anandshan said:
Also how to end programs running in background in Linux.
You have to kill the process.
If you know the name of the process, you have to manually kill the process by giving # killall <process name> in a terminal.
Or if you forgot the process name, then give
# ps x this lists all the process running on ur box. The first column lists the process ID (PID) of that process.then you can give
# kill PID to instantly murder that process. By default this sends a TERM(inate ) signal to it. check $ man kill for other options.

Killing a background process is strictly not recommended if u dont know what you are killing. However, if there is some daemon that is troubling you persistently, then try removing its entry from
/etc/rc.boot/ , /etc/rcS.d/ & /etc/rcX.d/ where X = 0 to 6. these are symlinks and can be created again using a utility like # ntsysv

PS: never give out your email on public forums. You'll be on the recieving end of spams

techie_it

Broken In
yoo..
instead..of buying nything..u could first buy a BOOK..on LINUX...they give...LInux..(i had got red hat 7.3) ...with it..its free..with book..its costs 499 bucks..its good option ...than buying it..frm a vendor..think..over it...

Keep :D

aadipa

Padawan
what u get with book is a publisher edition of RH Linux, full version contains many more utilities, but the fact is that starters hardly need all those extraaaaaaa

techie_it

Broken In
yoo...man...
but..do most of the users...understand the abc's of LINUX as they understand about Win...huh???lots of them just install to have a feel of linux..but..just cant made head and tail out of the appln...so wats the difference if its.. different ver.....think...abut.it...

keep// :D

tuxfan

Technomancer
Just contact the PCQ Offices in Chennai. You will find their address on the PCQ site. They will give you their PCQ Linux 2004 alongwith their March 2004 issue for Rs. 125. That issue has some good Linux articles as well. PCQ Linux works quite good in my P IV 1.5 GHZ, 128 MB RAM machine.

Don't go for versions that come with books. They are stripped down versions and stability is not guaranteed. It is better to take a reliable one even if you have to spend a little extra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom