Help on PC config for 3D designing

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitmaster

Broken In
Hi friends
Please help me in selecting the right processor and motherboard for building a system primarily intended for 3D design related work and occassional gaming?

My budget for CPU motherboard combination is Rs. 15000.

The options I have in mind are
1) Intel P4 2.8 GHz 800 FSB (?Prescott) with Intel 865GBF motherboard
2) Intel P4 2.8 Ghz LGA 775 processor with Intel 915 GAV motherboard
3) AMD Athlon 64 bit 2800 with asus Mobo

I also need to buy a decent grafix card
I am under the impression that P4 is better for 3D design related work. Am I right?
Please give your opinion on my options and any other suggestions you have.
Thanks

boeing_737

Broken In
Hi,
Yes youre right. 8)
Intel is somewhat considered better for 3D design. But somewhere along the line..if you get into gaming, AMD would be the better choice,because AMD is not only cheaper..but also offers superior performance in games and business apps.
Right now, i wouldn't recommend jumping onto the 64-bit bandwagon as there are too many technologies like DDR2, PCIe, 64-bit computing, that are still yet to get their feet firmly on the ground.
For a budget of 15,000 you would get a top-of-the-line AMD mobo-CPU combination.
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 400Mhz FSB
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
A HIS Excalibur Radeon 9800 pro 256-bit 128MB DDR Video Card.
Minimum of 512 MB DDR 400

I dont know about other things like the sound card...etc, the others will surely help you out .so hang in there. :wink:

Hope this helped 8)

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Intel Does Rule In the 3D Appication Processing.....Since The AMD Processors Have a Age Old Heating Issues And Is Mostly Considered More Of a Gaming And is Even Good In 3D Applications Processing These Processors Provide The Best Value For Ur Money.....So The Asus k8V Mobo With AMD Athlon 64 2800+ Would Do Best for U For Now......It will Easily Fit In Ur 15k Budget for now......And Will Be Future Proof For somtime now 8)
As for The Graphic Card An Ati Radeon 9600Pro Will Do Perfectly For A Decent Enough Gaming 8)
Try Askin Grinning_evil and Liquidnitrogen on the Cards and Mobos Info as their Rigs and Knowledge Is really Good On It Mate.... :lol:
Happy Buying Pal :D

OP
D

digitmaster

Broken In
What about the LGA socket P4 ?
At computer warehouse, listed price is under 14k for CPU+ Mobo.
All new technologies are there
Only problem is the need for a PCI express card.
Are they readily available?
How do they stand up to 9800/ 9600 pro or FX 5700 series?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
well The LGA P4 775 Processor To Be Precise Is Almost Same as Todays Present Day Socket-478 Pentium 4 Prescott processors.All that is new today is the increase in speed to 3.6GHz.....Which One Are U Aiming For Cause If Its The 478 Socket That U are Considering Then this Upgrade Aint All That Much needed Right Now.....But Anyways totally Upto U To decide Mate......As For The PCI Express Cards They Really Have Much More Juice Than U Can Imagine Compared to Their AGP Counterparts.....And Yes They Are Almost Readily Available Currently but are Way too Costly......So Investing In That Would Mean Much Costs Added.....For Ur Basic Gaming Need and The Heavy 3D Applications u Can Go for a AGP 8X Cards Rather Than a PCI Express Card (If U Can Afford It Then Its Well And Good)....Try Posting In The Bazaar Section To Get More Details On The Cards Availibilites and Thier Current Prices :lol:

liquid_nitrogen88

Journeyman
digitmaster:
primarily intended for 3D design related work
engineering related or multimedia related?

digitmaster:
Wats your budget for this pal?

digitmaster:
I am under the impression that P4 is better for 3D design related work. Am I right?
You are right upto an extend.But the newer FX from AMD makes intel run for cover...If you are into pure engineering related 3D work,go for intel as pure clock speeds do wonders there.It will be good for your occassional gaming too.......But go for AMD if you want pure adrenaline.....It simply rocks in gaming & multimedia.....

allwyndlima:
Since The AMD Processors Have a Age Old Heating Issues
Not any more pal.....its the intel CPUs which are burning out now....
As For The PCI Express Cards They Really Have Much More Juice Than U Can Imagine Compared to Their AGP Counterparts.....
We are still waiting for that to happen......
And Yes They Are Almost Readily Available Currently
Where????????Just a handfull of cards r available right now
but are Way too Costly.....
na...na......in the same performance bracket,they rnt that way too costly...
The 1st PCI-Express card tested by digit in oct costs only 6.5k......Its on par with the FX-5200(in performance)

Try Posting In The Bazaar Section To Get More Details On The Cards Availibilites and Thier Current Prices
Before that u search right here in this section.u will get all the details.theres even a thread on latest hardware prices over here.....

Go for PCI-Express if u want to be future proof....
Performance wise,AGP=PCI right now....i repeat....right now....

OP
D

digitmaster

Broken In
My budget for graphics card is around 8000.
AMD 64 FX I think is too costly for me to afford.

I am mainly into multimedia related 3D work.
Almost settled for the LGA P4.
Only problem is, from the replies I got, probalbly I can get a better graphics solution with 865 mobo than the 915 at same price. Am I right?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
@LiquidNitrogen
I Meant That the AMD Processors Do Have a Heatin Up but They Are Slowly Covering Up For it.....But It Still Aint Over Yet.... :lol:
And Yea The Cards Are Available Right Now At Lamington Road...Just Enquired About it... :)
Oh Yea Had No Idea On thier Prices So This Just In:
Saphire ATI Radeon X600XT 128 DDR PCI-Express VIVO:Rs.10,000
XFX Geforce 6600 256MB DDR PCI-Express :Rs.9,000 (Approx)
XFX Geforce 6600 128 MB DDR PCI-Express :Rs.Rs.8,000
@Digitmaster Dun Go For The Fx Right Now Mate they are just way too costly and Are Just The Plain Same Performance As The AMD 64 Series.....So Try Going in for AMD Athlon 64 2800+ Or 3000+ :)
And yea the 865 Mobos are Good Right now But The 915 one's Are Btter For Thier PCI-Express performances 8)
So Choose Wisely Mate :)

liquid_nitrogen88

Journeyman
I Meant That the AMD Processors Do Have a Heatin Up but They Are Slowly Covering Up For it.....But It Still Aint Over Yet....
come on yaar....chek out the latest heating up tests of CPUs....AMD is the clear winner over there.... :lol:

So This Just In:
Saphire ATI Radeon X600XT 128 DDR PCI-Express VIVO:Rs.10,000
XFX Geforce 6600 256MB DDR PCI-Express :Rs.9,000 (Approx)
XFX Geforce 6600 128 MB DDR PCI-Express :Rs.Rs.8,000
thanks 4 this pal..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

@Digitmaster Dun Go For The Fx Right Now Mate they are just way too costly and Are Just The Plain Same Performance As The AMD 64 Series.....So Try Going in for AMD Athlon 64 2800+ Or 3000+
Its true that FX series is very costly right now.But they offer far better performance too & not the same performance.

I am mainly into multimedia related 3D work.
Go for AMD64 3000+(9K) or 3200+(11K)...u wont be better satisfied with intel....If u can do it,just chek out the real life loading time of Adobe Photoshop in an AMD & Intel....:lol: :lol:

My budget for graphics card is around 8000.
The best bet for u then will be ATI Radeon 9600PRO(by Gigabyte etc)

Only problem is, from the replies I got, probalbly I can get a better graphics solution with 865 mobo than the 915 at same price. Am I right?
If u r buying a graphics card,its not goin 2 make much diff.
Why r u not considering 875PBZ? :roll:

OP
D

digitmaster

Broken In
Thanks liquid_nitrogen & allwyndlima for the info

If u r buying a graphics card,its not goin 2 make much diff.

I meant I will have to choose between pCIe and AGP 8x card. From what I read here AGP has better performance for same price. Am I right?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Hmm Well Now Then There Must Be Some Probs With My Friends Amd 64 Rig Then Cause Its Constatly On a Hang Up And With The CPU Heating Records Upto 42.3 Degrees :? Ahhh Anyways The Point Is Its Still Better For a AMD Purchase Along With a Dual Coolin Fan Cab Alteast I.e. to Be safer.... 8)
Btw AMD 64 Has Single Channel 64 bit Memory To Handle So Requires Less Power and The FX Series Reqiures Much More Processing Power To Handle The 128-bit Memory Dual Channel On Its Hands Now.....So The Power Rigs They Produce are more Or Less Similar And With The Rest Specs Being Quite The Sam The FX Series Aint That Much Of For Now Considering Its Price Level :wink:
@Digitmaster Mate The AGP 8X's Are Widely Available Choices For Now And Are Much In Popular.....So Will Be a Good Buy For Now.....But If U Are Future Concious Then The PCI-Express cards Are Ur Friends And a Cheaper Solutions As well :wink:

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
:shock: :shock: ...ohhh my God...sum soul is going to buy a PC without shrek butting in.....hehe thankx nitro for the tip....!!!!

well well.....PCI or AGP.....AGP or PCI......c'mon ppl give me a single reason why we shud stick with AGP..((apart frm wide availability nd sumwhat low price))..????

who dont want to be future secured????....so the best bet wud be to introduce urself to PCI - EX devices soon...in sum time sooner or later we will be having NIC cards running on PCI-EX slots
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!

oooops by the way nitro how r ur hurdles going on???....psst academic hurdles i mean to say!!

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Hey Come On grinnie The Soul Was Gonna Buy The Config After Ur Butting Only I Suppose.....So Nice U Dropped Up In Time :wink:
Now Lets Be Future Concious And Lets Buy The Future Shall We.......So Money Plzzzzz???? :lol:
Seriously Even I wanna Wait For The Complete and Full Fledged Test And Performance Review Of These PCI-Exp Based Cards 8)

liquid_nitrogen88

Journeyman
my exam is on this month 9th pal....browsing is the only leisure i take in between hours of serious reading..... :evil:

PCI Vs AGP.....nothing more is there to be written about them in this forum....gimme a break yaaar.......... :twisted:

Single reason for AGP?.........my mobo dont like them...... :lol:

Psss...hey grinnie,hop u like my "NO QUOTE's" posts... :lol: :lol: :lol:

chetansota

Broken In
digitmaster said:
Hi friends
Please help me in selecting the right processor and motherboard for building a system primarily intended for 3D design related work and occassional gaming?

My budget for CPU motherboard combination is Rs. 15000.

The options I have in mind are
1) Intel P4 2.8 GHz 800 FSB (?Prescott) with Intel 865GBF motherboard
2) Intel P4 2.8 Ghz LGA 775 processor with Intel 915 GAV motherboard
3) AMD Athlon 64 bit 2800 with asus Mobo

Please give your opinion on my options and any other suggestions you have.
Thanks

IF you have a budget of Rs.15000/- then the second option is better you can infcat go for P4 3.0 Ghz procssor with Intel 915G motherboard and now a day you already have 64 mb dynamic memory on the onboard graphics , after buying processor and motherboard i donot think that a graphic card would fit in your budget,for that you will have to shellout atleast Rs.5000/- more , i suggest rather then going for a graphics card go for more RAM if you want to do more 3D graphics . I am a animator also. RAM also plays important role in 3D graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom